Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Car Maintenance Inputs to share?

A friend of mine who lived in Edinburgh said because of the rather rainy and moist weather in Scotland, cars tend to rust more easily.

A friend of mine shared his maintenance tip with me and said that cars in general would be better off to avoid as much water as possible. Hence he said that the better way to keep cars would be to use wet clothes to wipe your car on a daily basis and spray hose it maybe once a week. He also said to never spray directly at the rims like those car washing houses do but on the tyres more because spraying directly at the rims would mean spraying too much water on the brake discs and it wouldn't be good for the car either.

The weather in HK is defintely great for keeping exotic cars like Porsche. We never snow in the first place so salt and dirt and mud aren't too much of a problem.

Just want some inputs on maintenance and care. In general, does using a hose to spray the RIMS of a car on a daily basis to clean the dirt tend to cause premature rusting on the rotor and brake disc?

The disc always rust to a certain degree and I believe that washing on a daily basis is not a problem as long as you drive it after instead of letting it dry naturally. I believe that from a maintenance POV, it is always better to wash the car in the morning and then drive it right away so the heat can evaporate the water instead of letting it stick with the axles and rotational system overnight. Any input?

Intuitively, the more frequent you wash the car, the more chance for you to cause premature rusting?

A friend of mine who lived in Edinburgh said because of the rather rainy and moist weather in Scotland, cars tend to rust more easily.

A friend of mine shared his maintenance tip with me and said that cars in general would be better off to avoid as much water as possible. Hence he said that the better way to keep cars would be to use wet clothes to wipe your car on a daily basis and spray hose it maybe once a week. He also said to never spray directly at the rims like those car washing houses do but on the tyres more because spraying directly at the rims would mean spraying too much water on the brake discs and it wouldn't be good for the car either.

The weather in HK is defintely great for keeping exotic cars like Porsche. We never snow in the first place so salt and dirt and mud aren't too much of a problem.

Just want some inputs on maintenance and care. In general, does using a hose to spray the RIMS of a car on a daily basis to clean the dirt tend to cause premature rusting on the rotor and brake disc?

The disc always rust to a certain degree and I believe that washing on a daily basis is not a problem as long as you drive it after instead of letting it dry naturally. I believe that from a maintenance POV, it is always better to wash the car in the morning and then drive it right away so the heat can evaporate the water instead of letting it stick with the axles and rotational system overnight. Any input?

Intuitively, the more frequent you wash the car, the more chance for you to cause premature rusting?

Just try to avoid getting the discs wet....... a wash more than once a week is pretty excessive if you ask me but I guess it depends how dirty a place you live in and how many miles you do.

Also I'd avoid using wet cloths....... using plenty of clean water is the best way to remove dirt, the less water you use on your cleaning cloth/sponge probably increases your chances of rubbing grit across your paintwork.

If your car is dirty, there is no substitute for a good car wash.

If it's merely dusty from stitting in garage and occasional sunday drives, you can dust it or use a detail spray to wipe off spots like finger prints. This can be done is your car is garage kept and never sees much rain.

Using a wet towel leaves water mark sometimes and if you really have dirt to wipe off, you can scratch the paint.

As for disc brake getting wet, I don't think that is a concern. Surface rust on disc brake comes off after a couple of stops.