Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

cost of alignment

hi,

~ how much does this cost? thanks.

I have paid $125-$140 for a full 4 wheel alignment to aggressive camber settings (-0.7 front and -1.7 rear). The price was similar at the Porsche independant and the Porsche dealer.

The independant shop claimed to have gotten better alignment numbers. The dealer dialed out all my camber and left me with measurable cross camber on their first try, they then realigned according to my original request charging only one fee for the two tries.

The first alignment (after 1 year of ownership), was a HUGE improvement. Subsequent alignments felt like small improvements(except for the one time when it was a noticeable loss of my aggressive settings).

For my tastes, it seems about right to have an alignment donce once every 12-18 months.

• 2 weeks later...

I've noticed lately that at highway speeds (~80-90mph) I get a lot of vibration in the steering wheel and sometimes through the whole car. I have always noticed some bt assumed it was just because the car transmits more of the road through. I don't do a lot of highway driving so it's hard to say if this is new or just usually unnoticed. No strange treadwear that I can see - the tires are all 18 months old and the rears are just about at the point where they'll need to be replaced soon (and the tread wear is even). It also doesn't pull much in either direction.

Does this sound like it fits the "every 12-18 months" window for being caused by an alignment going slightly off, or does it seem like something more? I would have though I'd see more treadwear if it was due to the alignment.

Edited by CA_Boxster

I've noticed lately that at highway speeds (~80-90mph) I get a lot of vibration in the steering wheel and sometimes through the whole car. I have always noticed some bt assumed it was just because the car transmits more of the road through. I don't do a lot of highway driving so it's hard to say if this is new or just usually unnoticed. No strange treadwear that I can see - the tires are all 18 months old and the rears are just about at the point where they'll need to be replaced soon (and the tread wear is even). It also doesn't pull much in either direction.

Does this sound like it fits the "every 12-18 months" window for being caused by an alignment going slightly off, or does it seem like something more? I would have though I'd see more treadwear if it was due to the alignment.

My car used to get lots of vibration in the steering wheel starting around 75 MPH. (I have 38+K miles on the car, original front tires, original rears replaced at 27.5K). When I took the car back to America's Tire (same company as Discount Tire) at around 37K miles, they rebalanced my rear tires ($0 because I bought the tires there), and because they are so nice, also rebalanced my front tires for no cost. Driving home on the freeway, absolutely no steering vibration affer that :D

You might want to get your wheel balance checked first. I think sometimes the little stick-on weights fall off. And it's a lot less expensive than an alignment

You might want to get your wheel balance checked first. I think sometimes the little stick-on weights fall off. And it's a lot less expensive than an alignment

Good point. That's the other thing that I was thinking of. Particularly because it really kicks in during that 10 mph acceleration from 75 to 85 mph.

Vibration is unlikely to be alignment. Vibration is almosty certainly wheel balance, bent wheel or failing tire.

Alignment is all about turn-in, tracking grooves, pulling to one side, and ultimately grip. Every 12-18 months is a personal thing, since I occaisionally track the car I want her to be well set up. Alignment every 3-4 years, is probably a good idea for a non track use car. "At least once" is definitely a good idea.

If you have had the car over 6 months I would get her aligned. Some folks have successfully talked their dealers into alignment as a warrantee item. Consider ing the numbers my car had a year after delivery, I would say it would have been justifiable as a warrantee claim. I could feel the difference immediately.