Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Want to get NAV system for 996

I would like to get a NAV system for my 996 C2 MY01 coupe. Tried to find a TrafficPro at Crutchfield but they're not selling them any longer. The original MSRP on these was $800 or $900 but they're just not available. Anyone have a good used unit for sale or can you recommend a suitable substitute? I have the original CDR 220 (no CD changer).

Any Help?

Joe

There are at least 2 on Ebay, I have been looking at them. Here are links.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HARMAN-BECK...sspagenameZWDVW

There are a few models, don't know which one is OEM for Pcars. Also, most seem to have European CD's and I don't know where you get the US version of the CD's.

There are a few models, don't know which one is OEM for Pcars. Also, most seem to have European CD's and I don't know where you get the US version of the CD's.

I saw two separate models on eBay as well and have questions into the sellers. One is from a BMW E38, don't know about the other one yet. Have a question on the Becker board as to compatibility.

Thanks for the help. Will keep at it.

Joe

I saw two separate models on eBay as well and have questions into the sellers. One is from a BMW E38, don't know about the other one yet. Have a question on the Becker board as to compatibility.

Joe

I know that they are single DIN units so they will fit into the dash. I think that most Beckers are Standard in terms of the rear plug-ins for the wiring harness' but don't know for sure. Also, finishes may be different (i.e. satin vs. gloss). Good luck, let me know how it goes if you buy one and install it.

Joe

I know that they are single DIN units so they will fit into the dash. I think that most Beckers are Standard in terms of the rear plug-ins for the wiring harness' but don't know for sure. Also, finishes may be different (i.e. satin vs. gloss). Good luck, let me know how it goes if you buy one and install it.

One of the units was installed in a 2003 Buick LeSabre in its prior life. Owner says he upgraded to a more expensive nav system. May just try it and if it doesn't work I'll resell it on eBay.

Joe

Joe

One of the units was installed in a 2003 Buick LeSabre in its prior life. Owner says he upgraded to a more expensive nav system. May just try it and if it doesn't work I'll resell it on eBay.

Joe

FWIW, check to see if the TPs have the latest map CDs. New ones came out about 6 months ago and they are expensive.

• Moderators

From my failing memory, there were 3 Traffic Pros depending on the color of the display. Amber that we use for Porsche. And red or some other color(s). Other than the color of the display they are the same.

Just watch out for something called Traffic Pro II. This was made for Ford and has a green dispay.

From my failing memory, there were 3 Traffic Pros depending on the color of the display. Amber that we use for Porsche. And red or some other color(s). Other than the color of the display they are the same.

Just watch out for something called Traffic Pro II. This was made for Ford and has a green dispay.

Tool Pants,

Thanks for the reply, the unit I have coming has an amber display. Where's the best place to place the GPS antenna, in the center with the security (blinking light) gizmo? Love that technical jargon.

In October 2005 I ordered a Becker Traffic Pro from Becker of NA, (201) 327-3434, for $599. The unit is identical to the Porsche unit, except Becker is printed on the front instead of Porsche. It is perfect match to the dash and the CR-220 that it replaced.

I installed it myself using the instructions on this site, with no major problems. I asked Becker for the model that would most closely match my car, 2002 C2, and the color of the lighting is exactly like the rest of the interior. The TP functions perfectly and the quality of its operation is more than I expected. I had considered trying to find a PCM that would fit my year, but given all that I had read on this list i decided it was too expensive for what it was, not all that great, and a hassle to install. I did not consider a non factory NAV since I concour the car and wanted to keep a factory appearance. As you can tell I am very satisfied with the TP! Dave

How difficult was the install? E.g., do you just remove the old radio and install the new one with its GPS antenna, or is there more to it than that. I tried calling Becker Parts, but they told met hat they only had TrafficPro for Mercedes cars. Did I call the wrong number or is that the same unit??? Thanks for advice.

In October 2005 I ordered a Becker Traffic Pro from Becker of NA, (201) 327-3434, for $599. The unit is identical to the Porsche unit, except Becker is printed on the front instead of Porsche. It is perfect match to the dash and the CR-220 that it replaced.

I installed it myself using the instructions on this site, with no major problems. I asked Becker for the model that would most closely match my car, 2002 C2, and the color of the lighting is exactly like the rest of the interior. The TP functions perfectly and the quality of its operation is more than I expected. I had considered trying to find a PCM that would fit my year, but given all that I had read on this list i decided it was too expensive for what it was, not all that great, and a hassle to install. I did not consider a non factory NAV since I concour the car and wanted to keep a factory appearance. As you can tell I am very satisfied with the TP! Dave

How difficult was the install? E.g., do you just remove the old radio and install the new one with its GPS antenna, or is there more to it than that. I tried calling Becker Parts, but they told met hat they only had TrafficPro for Mercedes cars. Did I call the wrong number or is that the same unit??? Thanks for advice.

If you do a renntech search on "traffic pro" you will get more info than you'll ever need to know. The hardest part for me was snaking the antenna wire up behind the dash to fit into the interior antenna mount on the center of the dash near the front windscreen...but it's a perfect fit.