Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

hello.

Just went to operate the cabriolet top from the switch inside and it would not operate. I could hear a just a faint click from behind the rear seats but the top would not operate. I put the key in the door lock to operate it and it operates normal.

any thoughts?

2000 c2 cabriolet

Well, if it doesn't operate from the inside but it does from the door, the likely culprit is the handbrake switch. See if when you pull the handbrake (emergency brake) the light does go on in the dashboard. If it doesn't, there is a small switch you can replace for a few bucks.

The door-key operation do not need the handbrake to be engaged for the top to operate.

Let us know if that is the case, easy fix. If not, it could be the dash switch itself (not likely but possible) or simply a low hydraulic fluid condition.

thanks Izzy.

just checked and the parking brake handle is not activating the brake light. Where is the switch and how is it replaced?

The easiest way is to follow the center console delete instructions. As you are doing the center console removal, you will see the white connector and switch by the hand brake. You will need some needle nose pliers and screw drivers. And move the passenger seat all the way back and recline as much as possible.

You will not need to remove the center console, don't go that far. But will have to move it sort of out of the way to reveal the switch. Piece of cake.

Here are great instructions for a B&M short shifter, they have great pics too.

B_M_Short__Shifter.pdf

Sorry Capt'n, think it is a Porsche part. It is a common problem, so they should stock it. If the dealer is closed, and you are lucky enough to live in an area where you want the top down this weekend, try taking the switch out and cleaning it. It may be corroded and some "Autozone" electrical part cleaner may do the trick and extend the life. But you will need the new switch anyway in the future even if you get the old one to work again, don't rely on the short term solution.

I know someone in the forum was trying to figure out which wire goes to the convertible top module and sends the signal "hand brake engaged". The idea was to get that wire to ground and see if you can fool the system, like you can do the speed wire (so you can open and close on the go). You may want to do a search and see if it worked. I may do the same, spring is coming soon to the Carolinas.

Izzy

I just finished spraying the switch out with electrical part cleaner and the switch seemed to be working now. I didn't pull the console out all of the way, so I could not tell how that switch even came out. I did not see any screws on it from the angle I was looking. Do you know where the screws holding it in place are for when I do replace it?

We used to live in South Carolina (for 2 long years!) now we are living in Southern California and are ready to go out and about for the first time with the top down. (We have only had the car two weeks!)

thanks again for your responses.

Can't remember if it had a screw or not, I think it was just jammed in there, it was kind of hard to pull out, the needle nose pliers did work, fingers alone wouldn't budge it.

Glad you got it to work, though. You may want to get the switch and keep it in the garage. Enjoy the driving!

Izzy