Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Swapping Stock Tip Wheel for Tip Multifunction

Does anyone know if the wiring connections for the multi-function steering wheel are present even if a standard 3-spoke wheel was installed at the factory?

I am interested in doing the switch myself but unsure if the multi-function requires additional wiring to be done.

Thanks for any help.

I have gotten as far as the wheel itself and the module for the steering wheel. The dealers head mechinanic did not have any information or documentation for retrofitting so I put it off. This was about 8 months ago.

The signals from the controller are combiled and relayed via a single core cable (optic?). This appears to then go to the combined steering column module (we already have) and is then processed for CAN transmission.

So you have the wheel itself, the module (may require very minimal wiring), and a connection to the steering module. Then coding with PIWIS.

Since you have reminded me of this and bonuses are in I am going to shoot an email to the mechanic and see if any retroffiting news has come in for this.

Since all of these goodies are driven by additional modules passing information to the PCM, I personally think Chrono could be added without the clock as well. Time will tell and of course there is no telling about the $$$.

David

So.............I've been told two different things:

-The wiring loom is configured at the time of the build so if the car didn't have the MF Wheel, the wiring for it would not be there. You would have to have the wiring put in and then you would have to have the functionality programmed by a dealer using the System Tester. $$$$ to have the wiring done.

-The steering wheel wiring loom is a standard config and the connections are shipped with all 996/997 models. In this scenario you can do the install yourself but you still need the buttons programmed using the PST2.

Any pros here know the truth?

Well, I just got my wheel replaced and want to post some real world info.

Sorry for the confusion but in the 997 the wiring harness for the multi-function wheel is actually installed even if you don't have that option (at least mine was).

After install however, you will have to have the new multi-function wheel activated/programmed with the Porsche Dealer equipment. Not only do you need this to use the multi-function buttons but you need it to also activate the Tiptronic rocker switches on the wheel so your car will be straight auto only until you have it done.

Edited by albonya

So what were the part #'s used for the install.

Sorry for the confusion but in the 997 the wiring harness for the multi-function wheel is actually installed even if you don't have that option (at least mine was).

After install however, you will have to have the new multi-function wheel activated/programmed with the Porsche Dealer equipment. Not only do you need this to use the multi-function buttons but you need it to also activate the Tiptronic rocker switches on the wheel so your car will be straight auto only until you have it done.

So what were the part #'s used for the install.

No additional parts. They just swapped the stock leather tip wheel for the carbon multi-function (was told it only comes in the MF when you buy it as an add on with the shifter/ebrake) and then ran it over to the dealer for the computer re-program. This apparently is not a PCM based procedure, they have to interface the ECU (I could be wrong but that's the way I understood it).

Carbon kit I installed: 99704480038A10 on a 2006 C4 Coupe Tiptronic.

Edited by albonya

Do you know if it is also that simple for a manual 997? And by the way, what is the part number for the multi-function wheel for a manual 997? Is it the same number as the tiptronic ones?

I'm really not sure if it's the same for the 6 spd.

The part number for the same carbon kit that I ordered is different for the 997 6spd.

It is: 99704480037A10

It is actually a better deal to purchase the Wheel, shifter and ebrake than to buy the wheel by itself. I don't know what the individual part number is for the wheel only.

Activating the wheel is going to likely cost you a few hundred bucks at the dealer.

Do you know if it is also that simple for a manual 997? And by the way, what is the part number for the multi-function wheel for a manual 997? Is it the same number as the tiptronic ones?

I'm really not sure if it's the same for the 6 spd.

The part number for the same carbon kit that I ordered is different for the 997 6spd.

It is: 99704480037A10

It is actually a better deal to purchase the Wheel, shifter and ebrake than to buy the wheel by itself. I don't know what the individual part number is for the wheel only.

Activating the wheel is going to likely cost you a few hundred bucks at the dealer.

Thanks for the info.

Do you remember how much the kit was and how much it would be if I purchase just the wheel?

Kit I bought was $1575.00 from Suncoast Motorsports. Your dealer might give you a better price if you also have it installed. I reccomend finding a good motorsports shop in your area to do it though. Dealer quoted me $600 to install this stuff (not including the activation). I got it done for a fraction of that.

I never priced the wheel by itself. To have the carbon wheel MF only installed during build is a $1350 option so I would assume it's a bit more to purchase as an add-on. $1575 package was a dealer special from Porsche (supposedly).

http://e-partssales.com/Merchant2/merchant...ory_Code=996int