Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Overheating at Track

I was at the tack yesterday for the first time with a 1999 996 six-speed. What a vast improvement from my old car, but I kept getting a flashing light from the temp gauge. I blasted the heat and short shifted but I didn't expect this from this car. I have seen where many of you have put on third radiators. My question is what is max temp I should watch for? Will the third radiator make a big enough difference or is there something else going on? How do I check the function of the fan in the decklid? :renntech:

Thanks Mark

Mark,

A couple of things come to mind, one simple one would be to remove the front bumper cover, and vacumm the radiators. I would venture to guess it was probably never done, and you may have 6 years of leaves and crud in there. I have a 99, did it last winter, had a full vac of debris.

Second, make sure the coolant level is at the max. The light in my car would flash if my level was 1-2 cups low (literally). So top it off if needed with 50/50 Porsche coolant.

Lastly, the fan is checked with the engine on and at operating temperature. On the right side and top of the engine there is a temp probe. There is a picture of it somewhere in the site. Make sure you can find it before turning the engine on, and no loose clothing. Then disconnect the probe and the fan should go on. That could be the last reason.

But I would do them in the order I suggested, since the radiators do need a cleaning, use the soft brush on the vac.

Izzy

This thread shows the picture for the connector, engine compartement fan

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?s...compartment+fan

I was at the tack yesterday for the first time with a 1999 996 six-speed. What a vast improvement from my old car, but I kept getting a flashing light from the temp gauge. I blasted the heat and short shifted but I didn't expect this from this car. I have seen where many of you have put on third radiators. My question is what is max temp I should watch for? Will the third radiator make a big enough difference or is there something else going on? How do I check the function of the fan in the decklid? :renntech:

Thanks Mark

Mark,

I would bet your coolant is a little low. My '98 Boxster flashes the coolant warning when it is low. This will now recover while driving as the coolant expands but if you turn the key off and on it stops, due to expanded coolant levels.

You didn't say where the temp indicator was. I have almost pegged the indicator with the Boxster on the track. This caused no harm but I run 15-50 Mobil 1 in the summer. I think that is almost 250 F. I didn't do this for long but we got up there. It was about 110F out at the time.

Joe

Both front radiator fans have a low speed and a high speed mode. If one of the fans happens to not work at all, or its low speed is out, that can be your problem. The system brings on the fans at low speed first and then switches to high speed if the coolant temperature continues to rise.

If one of the fans doesn't work at low speed then by the time the system switches it to high speed its too late to catch up, especially on the track or operating the A/C on an especially HOT day.

Thanks Mark

Mark, both times i had my 99 996 at the track the temp went way up, past 180 (the numbers). It also happened when i was in palm springs during the 115 degree days. i took it in to Porsche, since seeing the needle that far over was kinda disconcerting... They said, after a full check of the system, vacumming, and all other things anyone could do, nothing was wrong. I spoke to three dealers about it. All told me the same thing. They run hot.

I am installing a third radiator tomorrow on it. No sense taking chances with a overheat...

Just my .02

Do a search on this forum as there are two rates that the Coolant Light can flash at.

The two diffrent rates indicate either a coolant level issue or a fan issue depending on the rate that the light flashes.