Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Commonly used metric wrench sizes?

Can anyone offer any input on the most commonly used metric wrench sizes when working on late model 911s (an '04 TT in my case)? I'm in the process of replacing some of my tools w/ Snap On, and given the premium cost would rather purchase the most relevant range of sizes. TIA

Jeff

Honestly, I would suggest everything in the 10mm to 19mm range (including 10 and 19) even though I don't think you will use the 11 or 16. Also, you may need something below that range (maybe 9mm??) for the brake bleed screws on the calipers if you bleed your own brakes.

In my very limited experience with the 996 TT, I think they have a few odd sized fasteners that you will rarely see. I think they were 15mm and 18mm or something like that, and I think they may have been on the oil drain plugs?? I think the most common fasteners are 10, 12, 13, 14, 17, and 19.

Many years ago, when I was just getting out of college, I bought the Snap-On Flank Drive Plus combination wrench set in 10mm-19mm. I think it was part number SOEXM710. I was dirt poor and they were horribly expensive, so it was very difficult to purchase and justify. What made the decision even more difficult was that they had these new funny looking "teeth" on the open end that I had never seen before. I was also not a professional mechanic. It was possibly the best purchase I ever made in my life. I kid you not.

b-man

Edited by b-man

• Moderators

Combination wrenches 8mm-19mm, which is 12 pieces.

You can skip 9mm but we use that to bleed the clutch on a Boxster. 11mm is not a common size but we use it for the brake caliper bleed nipples. 12, 14, 15, 16, and 18mm are not common but they do exist but I cannot think of the last time I used it on Boxster/996. I must have use them since they have wear marks from cranking. Jeff

Thanks for your replies.

I have been looking at the metric combination wrenches, standard length, from 7mm thru 19 mm, as well as the ratcheting box ends in various pairings to cover the same range. I've not seen what the Flank Drive Plus looks like, but you think that it has a reasonable advantage over the non-Plus wrenches?

Jeff

. . . but you think that it has a reasonable advantage over the non-Plus wrenches? 

Jeff

In my opinion, the "Plus" wrenches are definitely much better. Also, you can take some comfort in knowing that they have been out long enough that they can be considered tried and true, not some gimmick.

b-man

• Moderators

Do not know anything about flank drive "plus." Hope it is not a gimmick or I will have to buy $some.

Tools, like most things, have become a commidity. http://www.team.net/www/morgan/tech/whotools.html This link is old. I have some of the same tools that are almost identical but have different brand names on them. Next day there is yet another name.

Snap-on had the patent or trade name on flank drive. The tool would grip the fastner in the middle of a flat, rather than on a corner. The patent expired years ago. Then other tool companies then started to use this design, but gave it their own name.

Unless you want to be a professional mechanic who make a living with tools...... there is no reason to spend the money. I did not like Craftsman since they are clunky and do not feel good in you hand. The Craftsman professional hand tool line changed my mind and I see some of the tools in a Porsche shop. Guess who makes the tools.

Good luck with your choice. Jeff