Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Short Shifter - OEM

I have purchased the OEM short shift kit from my dealer and wantto have it installed on a new 987.

The dealership wants to charge me about $450 for labor to install it.

Does anyone have insight into what this should cost?

The part from Porsche alone was around $500 and they want another $450+ to install it.

Thanks.

I remember it cost me more for the labor than the part itself. Thought it was extortion at the time, but I eventually got over it. I didn't pay more than $800 though for both labor and part.

It is a 1-2 hour DIY. Look on the B&M site and download the instructions for installing their SSK. It will show you how to remove the center console. The the factory SSK just bolts in to replace the OEM. Simpler than the B&M where you have to cut some bushings. Remember to mark the cable attachments so you can get them back in the right place.

You may also want to think about replacing the plastic linkage, they wear fast and have alot of play. Both Agency Power and Schnell make metal linkages. The SSK reduces the throw, but with the OEM linkage there is still excessive slop.

Also, you could have gotten the Factory SSK for alot less than $500 from Sunset or on Ebay. Ebay is usually around $350-$400.

Edited by Dharn55

Name the dealer.

The dealer is Steven's Creek Porsche in San Jose. I was told Tool Pants on babblers.org that you have a lot of experience with this, done about 100 installs and even have a CD. How would I get/buy this? Is it really as easy to install as everyone is saying? And lastly, are there any warranty implications if you DIY? Thanks.

• Moderators

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?s...435entry36435

The DVD is of several B&M short shift installs on 986/996s. We need to film or photograph a 987/997s. Want to be the guinea pig?

Madam No Fear does the installs on local cars. I bet you can get her to take your car apart. If you also want to install one of the "metal" cable connectors that can be done at the same time.

Or, just have Stevens Creek Porsche do it for you.

post-4-1144926735_thumb.jpg

post-4-1144926901_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Name the dealer.

The dealer is Steven's Creek Porsche in San Jose. I was told Tool Pants on babblers.org that you have a lot of experience with this, done about 100 installs and even have a CD. How would I get/buy this? Is it really as easy to install as everyone is saying? And lastly, are there any warranty implications if you DIY? Thanks.

I just did mine this week. Although I have heard it takes 1 hr, it really took me about 2.5hrs...either way, it was not that hard and really is a DIY type of thing.

Good luck and go for it by yourself.

Sameer

Your short shift has arrived in the parts department. I saw it today. Looks fast....

Since it has been paid for I might just try to pick it up. :D

Hey TP,

Do you work there?

Also, do you know what the green plastic thingies are?

Thanks - MK

Edited by markskessler

• Moderators

Just a groupie.

The green thing is just a tool to lock the shift lever in place. I have been trying to buy just the tool, but so far the only way to get it is to buy the shift.

When I mentioned the tool the parts guy said a shifter had just come in. So we looked at it because the shift tool use to be blue, not green, and there are part numbers on the back of the tools.

So now I have 2 part numbers to play around with to see if I can buy just the tool, but they are not tool part numbers. But he ordered me something.

• 2 weeks later...
I remember it cost me more for the labor than the part itself. Thought it was extortion at the time, but I eventually got over it. I didn't pay more than $800 though for both labor and part.

I purchased the B&M kit for $243 delivered and installed it myself in about 2 hours. Was it the easiest install ever? No, but not the hardest either. No matter what, I can't see paying $500 more for the Porsche part and the install, which is easier than the B&M kit. (FWIW, I'm not trying to flame anyone who went this route, just trying to add my $.02 to the topic!)

• 2 weeks later...
I purchased the B&M kit for $243 delivered and installed it myself in about 2 hours. Was it the easiest install ever? No, but not the hardest either. No matter what, I can't see paying $500 more for the Porsche part and the install, which is easier than the B&M kit. (FWIW, I'm not trying to flame anyone who went this route, just trying to add my $.02 to the topic!)

so that's the difference between mechanically inclined and bored, and mechanically inclined and lazy :D

• 3 weeks later...

so that's the difference between mechanically inclined and bored, and mechanically inclined and lazy :D

HA I fall somewhere in between, mechanically inclined, bored, and cheap! :jump: