Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Oill filter installation

MY 2002 996 oil filter installation question: When the filter element is installed on the engine, does it slide all the way up into the motor, or does it sort of hang in the air after "popping" onto the engine portion noted in green in the pic below?

post-118-1145139850_thumb.jpg

MY 2002 996 oil filter installation question: When the filter element is installed on the engine, does it slide all the way up into the motor, or does it sort of hang in the air after "popping" onto the engine portion noted in green in the pic below?

The filter sits inside the oil filter housing that you unscrew from the engine (black 'oil filter' looking bit of plastic that sits on the right hand side under the engine (looking from behind) behind the sump.

Remove the filter housing - extract the paper filter (the bit in your photo),replace with the new one and screw it back.

That's all there is to it.

Richard.

Edited by teeerex

The filter sits inside the oil filter housing that you unscrew from the engine (black 'oil filter' looking bit of plastic that sits on the right hand side under the engine (looking from behind) behind the sump.

Remove the filter housing - extract the paper filter (the bit in your photo),replace with the new one and screw it back.

That's all there is to it.

Richard.

Thanks, Richard... I understand all that you say, but my question was regarding how the filter actually installs to the motor.

What I came to realize is that once installed to the motor(without the filter housing), the filter element sort of hangs in mid air. Meaning, it doesn't get crammed up into the motor (out of sight). The filter housing then installs over it. The filter element "pops" onto the motor and then hangs, later to be covered by the housing.

I was working quickly and never saw the "spindle/spring element" that supposedly latches onto the filter element. I suppose it was inside the filter housing, but I didn't notice it.

I really don't understand the question that you are asking.

The filter does hang onto the engine block just like how it looked when the housing is removed.

There is no spindle on the oil filter housing. You just push up the paper filter the same way you pulled the old one out. Then you screw tight the housing. The housing will tighten the seal of the filter to the engine block.

The first time I was asking myself the same question....

....you install the filter on the engine like the picture...and when you tighten the filter housing to the

proper torque you will hear a small crunch....that's when the bottom part of the filter mates with the housing... I'm sure someone else can share the "crunch experience"....

Pictures from Oakland.

Jeff, thanks for the pics. I was tired and moving fast... :eek: djantlive, thanks for the reply.

I installed the new element and then the filter housing over it. As I tightened the housing I felt the crunch that speed123 described. That made me wonder if I had pushed the new filter element up high enough into the engine. So, I took the filter housing off again, and this time the filter element came off with the housing, and the filter was sort of stuck in the bottom of the filter housing... like something was holding it in place (this must have been the spindle assembly mentioned in Loren's DIY).

So, I took the filter out of the housing and reinstalled it to the motor after making sure that it couldn't be pushed up any further. The filter element just sort of hangs in mid air. Then, I reinstalled the filter housing cover, felt the slight crunch again, and continued to torque it down to spec.

Apparently this is all part of the process and normal. Thanks to all.