Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Boxster Audio

Has anyone here replaced the crappy OEM speakers with another manufacturer's equipment that fits in the OEM spaces and uses the OEM grills? I would like to replace the speakers in my 03, but I want to maintain the stock look. I do not want an obvious aftermarket look...just sound. :D

Also, is there any reason why a 4" coaxial couldn't be used in the dash top positions rather than the odd sized 4"+.75" component system?

If anyone has done this kind of mod, I would be interested in knowing what make/models of speakers can be used successfully - and how much (if any) modification has to be done?

Has anyone here replaced the crappy OEM speakers with another manufacturer's equipment that fits in the OEM spaces and uses the OEM grills? I would like to replace the speakers in my 03, but I want to maintain the stock look. I do not want an obvious aftermarket look...just sound. :D

Also, is there any reason why a 4" coaxial couldn't be used in the dash top positions rather than the odd sized 4"+.75" component system?

If anyone has done this kind of mod, I would be interested in knowing what make/models of speakers can be used successfully - and how much (if any) modification has to be done?

http://home.socal.rr.com/vfxbox/bracket/index.html

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=8780

i haven't done it myself, but i know of boxster owners who have replaced the stock dash speakers with Focal KP100's (2-way speakers, mid/tweeter). check them out! i think they go for about $450 per pair.

i know there was a *little* modification needed, but they do fit.

Dynaudio makes some pretty high end stuff too.

I see Focal 100KP is two seperate pieces, but still uses standard 4 point mounting screw just like any other.

How's this fit in Porsche/Nokia mounting grill with *little* modification?

post-3964-1145328369.jpg

Edited by vfxbox

vfxbox...I take it you have done this, since you developed this nice bracket. Did you put coaxials in the dash? If so, how do you like their sound compared to the separates?

Also did you change out the doors as well? How about the head unit? What speakers/head unit did you select and why? And after it all, was it as much of an improvement as you had hoped for?

vfxbox...I take it you have done this, since you developed this nice bracket. Did you put coaxials in the dash? If so, how do you like their sound compared to the separates?

Also did you change out the doors as well? How about the head unit? What speakers/head unit did you select and why? And after it all, was it as much of an improvement as you had hoped for?

Sound did improve over stock speaker, especially on high-volume sound I can tell big differences.

It's much more clear sound and since I am using Pioneer AVIC-N3 unit, it has EQ for many different settings. I went over every settings and it delivers target settings correctly. If you have EQ you can test them out and try on nature settings..

For DOOR speakers, I answered to many readers here and it's hard to imagine without sub-woofer.

Yes, door speaker turned out to be sub-woofer and porsche did sell some separate BOSE Subwoofer as an option which it goes between rear speakers.

If you remove/change your door speaker with either 5 1/4 inch speaker or component speaker you will lose BASS and I highly recommend NOT removing it until you find other Sub-Woofer solution first.

I purchase 5 1/4 inch speaker already, but it's sitting on my desk for that same reason.

Jinster's other work around on http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=6617 did inspire my new adapter, but his solution has problem with rattling. I've tried his solution and did cut off stock speaker cup and installed speaker, then at high-volume it start to rattle because it wasn't attach to the speaker grill body tight enough. His work around had to remove all 4 screw tab and sit on stock cup did not hold speaker tight enough. I had to buy another set of 4" speaker then I had to come up with new design, ask people around in studio where I work. (Thanks Ross, studio audio guy)

After 3 prototypes and some other failure I come up with final version and option for baffle cup.

Adapter did work and didn't rattle, but because under the dash where speakers sat on big space is left out and BASS couldn’t come up as it should. So I had to use baffle to secure this area and make sure BASS will rise up.

You can try installing baffle on your stock speaker first and see if this will improve your sound quality. Then when you decide to move on with after market speaker system, use my adapter to install new speakers. No cutting, no permanent modification, just add-on and save your old part for future restoration. If you decide to sell your car, but keep your aftermarket audio systems.

:renntech:

Edited by vfxbox

I had stuff installed so I can't speak to difficulty, but it wasn't overly expensive. I have a 2000 with the door speakers. MB Quart RWE-160 6.5" mid-bass in the doors cost $130 online recently (they're a 2004 model) and the installation required the enclosures inside the door to be pulled out and replaced with one the shop built, but the total cost for the install was $160. You can get 6.5" mid-bass speakers that fit in the stock enclosures from what I hear, but I wasn't that informed about it at the time. The shop said they put MB Quart Discuss series 6.5" in these cars all the time and I don't think those require the new box to be built because they're mounting depth is smaller. There's no modification to the car and it's stock from the outside. I had some Kenwood KFC-P403 components put in the dash about a year ago. The trick with the dash (at least on the 2000) is that you only have about 1.9" of clearance over the crossbar in the dash so a lot of speakers don't fit. The Kenwoods were shallow enough and had a low frequency range, which is what I wanted (I didn't like the tin sound of the stock speakers). The sound is improved overall and the door speakers are a HUGE improvement. I also have an Alpine HU (CDA-9865 or something like that). It's the basic HU that plays MP3s and has the color change option to make the buttons amber (which they aren't really amber so don't get your hopes set on the stock look there).

All the speaker locations look stock and use the stock grills with no mods.

Edited by CA_Boxster

I had stuff installed so I can't speak to difficulty, but it wasn't overly expensive. I have a 2000 with the door speakers. MB Quart RWE-160 6.5" mid-bass in the doors cost $130 online recently (they're a 2004 model) and the installation required the enclosures inside the door to be pulled out and replaced with one the shop built, but the total cost for the install was $160. You can get 6.5" mid-bass speakers that fit in the stock enclosures from what I hear, but I wasn't that informed about it at the time. The shop said they put MB Quart Discuss series 6.5" in these cars all the time and I don't think those require the new box to be built because they're mounting depth is smaller. There's no modification to the car and it's stock from the outside. I had some Kenwood KFC-P403 components put in the dash about a year ago. The trick with the dash (at least on the 2000) is that you only have about 1.9" of clearance over the crossbar in the dash so a lot of speakers don't fit. The Kenwoods were shallow enough and had a low frequency range, which is what I wanted (I didn't like the tin sound of the stock speakers). The sound is improved overall and the door speakers are a HUGE improvement. I also have an Alpine HU (CDA-9865 or something like that). It's the basic HU that plays MP3s and has the color change option to make the buttons amber (which they aren't really amber so don't get your hopes set on the stock look there).

All the speaker locations look stock and use the stock grills with no mods.

Thanks CA_Boxster, this is great info. Mine is an '03 with the door speakers. I will check this stuff out.