Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

1987 944S repair estimate

I'm looking for a mechanic to have the following work done (labor only). Any ideas and what this should run?

1. Replace timing belt (labor only)

2. Replace balance belt (labor only)

3. Replace rollers and tensioners (labor only)

4. Front engine reseal (camshaft seals, balance shaft seals, flanges, oil-pump seal, and o-ring) – (labor only)

4. Replace water pump and thermostat (labor only)

5. Replace fuel filter (labor only)

6. Oil cooler reseal (labor only)

7. Change transmission fluid (parts/labor)

8. Replace hood shocks (labor only)

9. Check electric current to windshield washer pump

• 3 years later...
I'm looking for a mechanic to have the following work done (labor only). Any ideas and what this should run?

1. Replace timing belt (labor only)

2. Replace balance belt (labor only)

3. Replace rollers and tensioners (labor only)

4. Front engine reseal (camshaft seals, balance shaft seals, flanges, oil-pump seal, and o-ring) – (labor only)

4. Replace water pump and thermostat (labor only)

5. Replace fuel filter (labor only)

6. Oil cooler reseal (labor only)

7. Change transmission fluid (parts/labor)

8. Replace hood shocks (labor only)

9. Check electric current to windshield washer pump

I dunno, but I know this: It aint cheap

I somewhat recently had my belts/tensioner/rollers, and some other misc stuff done: new tires/alignment and more... (nothing like on ur list) and it cost me more than just a couple grand. :o

most mechanics will ding you in labor your for bringing your own parts, and will not warranty the work - a few don't care - i'd check that out first - you may find that it is actually cheaper in the end for them to get the parts

if you so have them get the parts, you're probably looking at about $2k - $2.5k all in

• 2 weeks later...

LOL - "new tires..." - you can't count that...I dunno what tires you put on your car but the new set of Michelin PS2's I just put on my ran me $900 for the set.

I think it's pretty common to expect at least a $1k bill to have a shop do your belts. A rebuilt pump is a couple hundred + a few hours labor for that.

You can change your own tranny fluid - get a jack or some drive up stands and you can do it yourself in a half hour. Fuel filter and hood shocks are easy as well. If I were you, I'd start doing as much as you can yourself. I bought my car never having a car that I've ever done ANY work on...7 months later I've got a list as long as my arm of stuff I've tackled myself and probably saved $4-5k in labor. I probably still wouldn't touch most of what you have on your list - but a few things you can do yourself for sure with a couple wrenches and screwdrivers.

As flash said - I'd guesstimate around $2k though...

Front engine seal,water pump/T-stat and all belts/rollers can be combined labour. I'm trying to remember the last one completed at our local garage and I think it was somewhere around the 8-9 hour area.

Fuel filter is a average of .6 of an hour. I think the cooler seals are around 1.5-2.0 hours if you have the updated oil cooler pressure relief valve and the hood struts are a complementary item and we never charge labour to install. Transaxle fluid change on a manual is approx .5 of an hour.

Electrical work is another matter... depends on the garage.

• 1 year later...