Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Door rattle

Waffen

Over rough roads (ie: just about everything in San Francisco) I've been getting a pretty annoying rattle from the passenger side door. I took apart the door last weekend to see if I could fix it but I ran into a plastic seal under the door cover that appears to be glued to the door's metal and didn't want to mess with it. Are these things just not made to be dismantled or am I missing something here?

I'm also getting an RPM related rattle from the rear right (kicks in at about 3000 RPM+) and I can't think of what this could possibly be.

I've been wanting to pick up the tech manuals, but I don't really do enough DIY work to justify the nearly $300 price tag.

• 7 months later...
Over rough roads (ie: just about everything in San Francisco) I've been getting a pretty annoying rattle from the passenger side door...

This may or may not apply to your situation, but thought I'd pass it along anyhow. Had a bit of a rattle somewhere in my driver-side door (C2 coupe). Sounded like it was coming from around my left ear; but couldn't seem to audibly nail it down. Aggravating, but not terrible.

Then, for some unknown reason, I was moving the seat belt pivot on the pillar and noticed that it rattled a bit when I jiggled it. The bolt holding it was tight. It appeared to be designed so it would pivot easily. I took it apart and inserted an O-Ring between the washer and the pivot piece. (The sequence I used was: bolt - pivot - O-Ring - washer - pillar.) Perhaps a more elegant solution would be to use one or two neoprene or felt washers, but I had an O-Ring at had, so I used that. When I tightened the bolt back, I was still able to pivot the holder, but not quite as freely as before. I took the car for a spin over some of the troublesome roads; the rattle was gone!

If all else fails in identifying a "door rattle", give your seat belt pivot a jiggle and listen for the rattle. That may be the source.

Edited by PaulWood

Could not agree more about rattles. Noise and the way it travels can be very confusing. You may think it is left door and at the end of the day it is right rear. Crazy but true. When I have rattles in any car, I start by removing everything non stock like sunglasses, cd cases, crap in the glove box etc! Then if the rattle is still present, I check things like seat belts and look for stuff under the seats, etc. If the rattle is still there, now it is time to take the door trim off if you are convinced that is the source. If you drive the car with the interior door panel off and the noise is much louder, your suspicion was correct. The plastic sheet you see with glue is the vapor barrier. It is ok to remove it, carefully - but make sure you put it back on with proper adhesive again. Otherwise, your car may develop leaks, especially during car washes and heavy sideway blowing rain storms.

PS: I am guessing it is not inside the door, but time will tell!

PS: I am guessing it is not inside the door, but time will tell!

Thank you both for the info! It appears the culprit may be an old rubber outer seal on the window. It looks like it's allowing more vibration than it should and appears to be allowing the rattle. I'll replace it this weekend and see if that fixes the issue.