Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

What is this rubber part?

Hi, folks. I have a 2002 996C2, 6-speed. While looking under the engine I noticed this part stuck between the rear of the engine block (or maybe a water passage) and the bracket for the exhaust system. The part number is 999 703 478 40. Its material is EPDM. Does anyone have any idea what this part is and where it goes? I have had the car for four months and the engine works and sounds OK - except for a clattering sound just as it approaches 0 RPM when shut off. TIA.

Dan

Hi, folks. I have a 2002 996C2, 6-speed. While looking under the engine I noticed this part stuck between the rear of the engine block (or maybe a water passage) and the bracket for the exhaust system. The part number is 999 703 478 40. Its material is EPDM. Does anyone have any idea what this part is and where it goes? I have had the car for four months and the engine works and sounds OK - except for a clattering sound just as it approaches 0 RPM when shut off. TIA.

Dan

It's a vibration bushing used on your air filter box. Someone took the box out and when it was put in, they must have not noticed it came out where the alignment post goes through. The post mates inside the bushing in which sits in a hole under the rear lip of the air filter box. Hope that helps :P

It's a vibration bushing used on your air filter box. Someone took the box out and when it was put in, they must have not noticed it came out where the alignment post goes through. The post mates inside the bushing in which sits in a hole under the rear lip of the air filter box. Hope that helps :P

Looks good. One more project for this weekend. Thank you for your response.

As for the slight rattle/clank at engine stop, mine does that too at times and has since I got it a year ago. I don't think it is significant. Anyone else any thoughts?

As for the slight rattle/clank at engine stop, mine does that too at times and has since I got it a year ago. I don't think it is significant. Anyone else any thoughts?

FWIW, I had the tech's at two different dealerships listen to the engine as it stopped. One tech could not identify the source of the noise. The other said it was a bad or loose muffler mount.

Hi, Wardhog. Yes, that is the correct part. However, when I removed my airbox (which is surprisingly easy to do) There were already two blue grommets installed in the body panel under the air box. They look just like the blue grommet that is under the secureing bolt at the center-rear of the air box.

Speculation: The previous owner or shop removed the air box and lost the black bushings. They then used the blue grommets because they were available. Go figure.

Anyhow, the box fits OK and there are no rattles.