Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Doing engine overhaul by myself- crazy?

Has anybody any experience in doing a complete overhaul to a 3.4 996 (1998) engine?

Is it a thing a "normal" guy can do, without too much experience on it?

I have the Porsche workshop manual, but I´m wondering is it so easy in the end.

I bought a used engine, without guarantee, and it has about 90.000 miles on it. I´m going to install it in my 98 boxter...

The problem is the Porsche manual I have does not include the crankshaft, rod bearing etc. specs, only torque values.

Thanks

Kare, Spain

From what I understand, all engines are returned to Porsche for any rebuild work. Spare crankshafts, rods etc. are not available as spare parts.

I also have read through the service manual, and with all the critical tolerances that need to be measured and considered, I feel this overhaul would be a challenge to even a genuine Porsche dealer technician.

Has anybody any experience in doing a complete overhaul to a 3.4 996 (1998) engine?

I bought a used engine, without guarantee, and it has about 90.000 miles on it. I´m going to install it in my 98 boxter...

The problem is the Porsche manual I have does not include the crankshaft, rod bearing etc. specs, only torque values.

Thanks

Kare, Spain

If you can get replacement parts, the job is no more difficult than rebuilding a chevy engine once it is removed.

Thanks

Kare, Spain

Just read an artical in a UK Porsche magazine ( I left it on my boat so I can't say which one specifically ) about a business in UK called autofarm. They rebuild Boxster and 996 motors and one of the comments was how few special tools are required. This company even bores outs and replaces cracked cylinders in a process they are pioneering. They are too far away for me but maybe you might be able to get parts from them? They also offer enlarged bore cylinders and pistons for boxster motors.

Also I read another article that said the 3.4 intake manifolds are too tall to fit into the boxster. The person doing the retro fit ended up lowering the whole engine/tranny assy mounts to accomodate the manifolds. This worked OK but gave him reduced ground clearance in a vulnerable spot.

Eric

Just read an artical in a UK Porsche magazine ( I left it on my boat so I can't say which one specifically ) about a business in UK called autofarm. They rebuild Boxster and 996 motors and one of the comments was how few special tools are required. This company even bores outs and replaces cracked cylinders in a process they are pioneering. They are too far away for me but maybe you might be able to get parts from them? They also offer enlarged bore cylinders and pistons for boxster motors.

Also I read another article that said the 3.4 intake manifolds are too tall to fit into the boxster. The person doing the retro fit ended up lowering the whole engine/tranny assy mounts to accomodate the manifolds. This worked OK but gave him reduced ground clearance in a vulnerable spot.

Eric

I found the Autofarm web page some time ago. Looks like the parts are not a problem, there are quite a few companies who can sell them.

But as I´m located in Tenerife, and the local machine shops don´t have the specifications to check the crankshaft, valve clearances etc. etc.

Does anybody has these values????

Here a rebuilt engine from Porsche costs eur 13000 (about $ 16250) so I´m looking for alternative routes.

The 3.4 installation is not a problem either, I downloaded the instructions from this site, and I think it wont´t be too complicated.