Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Tiptronic vs manual and RWD vs AWD

I've read a lot of threads over the last few months that have addressed two issues:

1) Tiptronic vs manual transmission?

2) RWD vs AWD( i.e. C2S vs C4S, turbo vs GT2)

For the most part, Porsche purists seem to immediately opt in favor of manual transmissions and RWD. They are inherently better, more fun to drive, and higher performance...right? I've read comments like " if you want a tip or AWD then get an Audi." " What person would buy a Porsche and not track it...of course a manual is better."

So I would like to poll the board with several questions.

1) Has anyone actually driven both a tip and manual in a C2S or C4S? Of those that have, did they track them and if so how did their times compare?

2) How many people compared driving performance head to head between the C2S and C4S with either tranny?

3) Why are drivers resistant to clutchless transmissions when they outperform manuals for all but the most talented drivers( which most of us aren't, eg. the 997 turbo tip outperforms the manual tranny even for the pros).

4) Has anyone taken a performance driving course to learn how to use the tip properly?

Personally I have now owned a '02 manual 996 C4S and now a '06 tip 997 C4S. Though the '02 manual may have been slightly more engaging to drive, I am a faster and better driver in the '06 and it's not due to model improvements. I think that advancements like E-transmissions and improved AWD need to be embraced and not scoffed at. Technology is moving quickly and the key is to adapt..at least that's just one Porsche owner's dissenting opinion. :cheers:

• 1 month later...

Valid thoughts :clapping:

I was in that situation, but finally opted for the tip.

Manual is fun and engaging, but I had to put convenience on priority.

Personally, I just hate traffic and one day I would probably get into trouble for my temper.

So the tip would actually be a big stress reliever for me, and besides, performance wise, it's not too much of a difference.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with you whole heartedly.

Frankly, for most of the people and considering their need & use, Tip is very good but web anonymity allows everyone to come across as the extremist Prosche driver doing nothing but laps on the track where manual shifting may have more predictability & control vs Tip. Tracks runs are not the only reality (even here the Turbo Tip is making manual old news).

Porsche cars are an equal enjoyment on the regular road as they are on the tracks and driving on the regular road, I would say that Tip has an advantage over the manual. I would rather keep both my hands on the steering wheel all the time knowing that I may have to manuver the car to avoid the cell phone junkies and people lost in their own thoughts. Also, in most of the on road driving in the regular traffic, I do not see any fun in constantly shifting the gears just to be in the right gear.

I have read some posts where people are making it sound that their life has been devestated just because they had a drive a Tip !!! give me a break...

On the matter of RWD vs AWD, again there are certainly some additional safety benefits in the AWD vs RWD. It may be even more pronounced in the 911 since it is a rear heavy car, So AWD must add a bit more control and better use of traction. I do not know what sort of "performance panelty" it may cause but again, depending upon where you are driving, track or regular road... you could argue either way. Frankly, if AWD was not something better than RWD, you would not see it as standard on the Turbo !!

So in short, go with what your heart and mind suggests and not be carried away with the opinions of people.

I'm not sure if it's because I'm still pretty young, but I would never consider an automatic Porsche.

One of the more satisfying parts of driving my CS2 is tapping the clutch in and throwing around the gears... In my opinion, that can never be outweighed by annoyances in traffic.

I have AWD in my truck, and I think it's where it belongs... However, I do not drive my car in the winter.

...I just don't think it's necessary in the Carrera or Carrera S, maybe the Turbo needs it.

During a service visit, my dealer provided me with a Boxster loaner with tiptronic.

I really disliked it initially. While in automatic mode driving in slow traffic, the shift program got into the tallest gear as quickly as possible. By my perception, the transmission was forcing the engine to lug. Out of traffic and on a 'fun' two lane road, I used the throttle much more agressively. The automatic shift action completely transformed! It held gears to redline and downshifted through the gears as I decelerated. I believe the tiptronic has a split personality based on driver input.