Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Guys, I'm having a little issue here!

I have a 2001 cabrio in exelent shape, HOWEVER,,,,,,a couple of days ago I noticed my ignition switch was getting dificult to turn it all the way to the left to take my key out, it seemed like it needed an extra push the last 1/8" of the travel in order to get the key out. I decided to put some wd40 on the lock & it seemed to have helped the situation!!

TODAY,,,, getting out of work I started the car & went to put the AC on and nothing! I can work the display, you can actually see the temp settings and everything but nothing comes out, it is dead!

Living in Miami I can assure you it was not a fun ride home without AC! And to add insult to injury I went to turn it off and I actually needed to force the key out (this time half way back) to get it out. Now the door bell

sounds like when you forget to turn the lights off after shutting the car off.

Am I dealing with two different problems here or the key & AC are connected somehow???

Any help with any of them would be greatly appreciated!

And guys, THANKS A LOT for a wonderfull site!

Like a lot of faulting, try to nail one problem at a time. It does sound like there could be two separate faults here. In answer to your query, just search for 'Ignition Switch' - the problems with it have been covered in depth on the forum. You'll find one of my replies with the Audi part number of the switch. Because in various positions of the switch different circuits are energised, this may be causing your AC controls to be dead.

The switch provides the following feeds for the various positions:

S - live when key is in ignition.

15- live when 'ignition' on and in start position

X - load reduction - live when 'ignition on' but not when in start position.

50 - live in start position only.

When the switch fails, the above just gets screwed up and you can get any combinations of switch position and contacts made/broken. The cabin fan for the AC is on the X contact. Fix your switch first and come back if the AC is still playing up.

Thanks a lot 0586slb, I think you nailed it on the head!

I went back to the car and after I started it, played with the swich and the AC kicked on. I don't think there's anything I could do to it, but wait after tomorrow (July 4th ) and take it in I gess.