Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

TIPTRONIC 5HP-19 Problem

Hi Guys,

MY03 Boxster 2.7 Tiptronic

Once again transmission is leaking, see first leak at First Time Leak

but this time is not as bad as the first time. Seems that the T/C is out of commision ( I had it remanufactuered May08, 8 months later damaged again ).

There was a whinning sound/noise coming I believe from the tranny, and from researching, if the whine/noise stops when car is not moving yet comes back when car is moving,

that means the T/C is damaged. and that is evident form the pix below.

The way I drive the car is 99.99% of the time on Manual Mode (the FUN mode :drive: I wonder, wait I think the M stands for Money sucking mode LOL), use it alot as a brake assist as well.

and that's what got me in trouble I think the first time, I used to downshift to 1st gear from I believe 30 or 35 MPH and that's really stops the car on it's track,

as most if not all tiptronic guys know. If you ask me now I'd say don't do it (not worth it unless you're going to hit something). I wonder how much stress that put on the engine and transmission!!!

So after fixing that car the first time I never did that on purpose and I was very careful, I may have shifted to 1st by accident a few times (not from 30 or 35 MPH to 0 MPH).

After hooking up the durametric software, found 2 fault codes for tiptronic. CEL did not come on.

9X6 Tiptronic Selected

About to get fault codes

moduleType = TiptronicG40

DTC Count = 2

Fault Number:82

Description:P1823 Pressure regulator3

DTC Count = 2

Fault Number:81

Description:P1818 Pressure regulator2

About to get fault codes

moduleType = TiptronicG40

About to get fault codes

moduleType = MotronicDME78

Q: Can these 2 faults be the cause of damaging the T/C, since they are pressure regulators?

would this somehow cutoff the supply of ATF from reaching the mating surfaces of the T/C to the Front Pump Bushing and made it so hot that the T/C got scored that bad.

I did clear the codes, topped off the ATF drove the car for about 50 miles, leak still there of course, fault codes are not in sight.

Any input is much appreciate it, and any of you guys know of any high performance T/C made for Boxsters, or the standard one is it.

post-20238-1233633070_thumb.jpg post-20238-1233634004_thumb.jpg

Front Pump housing (showing seal and bushing no apparent damage,but will replace anyway)

post-20238-1233634073_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

quick update

I left everything as is after disassembly for a long time till I figure out the cause of the problem, to no avail

until it hit me one day, the cause was right there in front of my eyes.

take a look at the pix below

after disassembly

post-20238-1235371405_thumb.jpg

Fluid level left in T/C after disassembly

post-20238-1235372888_thumb.jpg

post-20238-1235373067_thumb.jpg

afew hours later

post-20238-1235371773_thumb.jpg

leaving the T/C in the same spot same position after cleaning the fluid a couple times just to confirm, fluid comes back again.

the only logical conclusion is there is a leak in the weld after i had it remanufactured and made sense

since after I had the first problem and after assembly I noticed a film of oil all over the bottom of the tranny

but did not think much of it, and since it kept leaking obviously upto the point (6 months later) damaged the hub most likely

due to less fluid = more heat = hub expanding = touching (tight fit) the front pump bushing = scoring = more area for fluid to leak from easily

as noticable drops on the ground.

So I called the shop that rebuilt the T/C and will take it sometime this week to san jose to pressure test and rebuilt the T/C again