Notice - There are less than 3 weeks left until our annual server lease is due for renewal - and we are currently at 93% of funds needed to renew.
Please donate to help keep this site running -- donate here.

Call for Donations - All new donations go towards our 2014-2015 operating expenses. Please consider an ANNUAL donation to help keep this site operating. Click here to Donate

Photo

996 Alignment Specs

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 jeneric996

jeneric996

Contributing Member

• Contributing Members
  • 52 posts
Neutral

Posted April 26, 2007 - 11:02 AM

What are the factory's recommended alignment specs for a 2003 996, C-2 with US M030? and compared with X-74? I searched this topic but could not find anything. Thanks.

'03 996 C2 - Silver/ Blk, 6-sp, M030, 18" Carreras, PSE, Bose, Xenons, GT3-Style Rocker Panels...

#2 Loren

Loren

Porsche Nut

• Admin
  • 28,460 posts
Outstanding

Posted April 26, 2007 - 11:34 AM

Wheel Alignment Specs, For Carrera models only

Loren

RennTech.org

PCA member since 1978

My Mods in the Registry

Has someone helped you with a good solution to your question(s)? If so, give them a reputation point by clicking the rep_up.png arrow at the bottom right corner of any post.

#3 jeneric996

jeneric996

Contributing Member

• Contributing Members
  • 52 posts
Neutral

Posted April 26, 2007 - 12:45 PM

Thanks again, Loren.

'03 996 C2 - Silver/ Blk, 6-sp, M030, 18" Carreras, PSE, Bose, Xenons, GT3-Style Rocker Panels...

#4 tweety

tweety

• Members
  • 63 posts
Neutral

Posted April 27, 2007 - 08:51 AM

True or false. When getting the new tires on next week and needing a new alignment, I need to have the computer reset?!? I went to this shop that does upper end machines and the dude told me that he didn't have the tool to reset my machine when he was done.

#5 Loren

Loren

Porsche Nut

• Admin
  • 28,460 posts
Outstanding

Posted April 27, 2007 - 04:01 PM

What computer? What does he want to reset? If you have PSM you need to have the steering angle sensor checked - perhaps that is what he means?

Loren

RennTech.org

PCA member since 1978

My Mods in the Registry

Has someone helped you with a good solution to your question(s)? If so, give them a reputation point by clicking the rep_up.png arrow at the bottom right corner of any post.

#6 tweety

tweety

• Members
  • 63 posts
Neutral

Posted April 28, 2007 - 12:19 PM

What computer? What does he want to reset?
If you have PSM you need to have the steering angle sensor checked - perhaps that is what he means?

Now while I am still learning about these cars I didn't take what he was telling me as being wrong. In fact, at first he didn't want to do the car because he didn't have the scanner and would have to ask for it elsewhere.
He showed me the nearly new alignment machine and on the screen it was asking about the specifics of the 911 line...4s, PSM, and so on. I explained and pointed to the line that showed the PSM. He said that the car would have to be reset to know where the new settings were.

#7 Loren

Loren

Porsche Nut

• Admin
  • 28,460 posts
Outstanding

Posted April 28, 2007 - 01:21 PM

Yes, it should be checked with any alignment. Many times in does not need to be re-calibrated. But it is the same process to calibrate it with a PST2 or PIWIS tester. You see part of the "intelligence" of PSM is that it needs to know when your front wheels are pointed straight or turned (like in a skid). So this sensor is pretty important.

Loren

RennTech.org

PCA member since 1978

My Mods in the Registry

#8 Ranger

Ranger

• Members
  • 27 posts
Neutral

Posted April 29, 2007 - 11:47 AM

Don't stop at the suspension, start working the alignment variables that the new suspension will better allow. I put in ROW M030 my '99C2 a couple months ago. Had them align it to ROW M030 specs. Spent the following weekend DE parked next to a GT3 guy. It was his daily driver. Talked to him about tire wear on the street. He said he had no issues. Went a couple DE's later and had the shop redo the suspension settings with the "GT3 Street" settings. Back to the track for another couple DE's Had less understeer with the ROW M030 and it's alignment. Had even less understeer with the GT3 Street alignment. But I'm probably going to go back and change it again. Even the GT3 Street alignment has built in understeer. Am going to experiement with F/R both at 1.5deg, then put either front or rear at 2deg. Then swap putting the other end at 2deg. It remains to be seen whether my ROW M030 front can even get to 2deg. The racers are, obviously, playing with a lot more neg camber, but I'm not planning on experimenting in the neg 3-4deg range. Play with tire widths too. I run DE's in advanced solo. I'm almost the only guy on street tires. My learning curve is steep so I certainly wouldn't call myself genuinely skilled. God how those GT3 Cup cars fly past me on corners on open track days. Neither me nor my car will ever hang with a GT3 Cup, but I do hate always being lunchmeat.

"Performance on the order of an American muscle car ... without the stigma of low price!" -- 1970 Porsche 911S road test, Road & Track

#9 rbarna

rbarna

• Members
  • 13 posts
Neutral

Posted May 06, 2007 - 10:20 AM

What do you guys recommend for ride height for pss9's on a 2000 996 c4?

#10 dgeisler1238

dgeisler1238

Contributing Member

• Contributing Members
  • 6 posts
Neutral

Posted March 29, 2010 - 03:29 AM

What do you guys recommend for ride height for pss9's on a 2000 996 c4?

Can you send me the link for the wheel alignment specs for the Carrera 996 Models?
The link above seems to be broken. THANKS

#11 dgeisler1238

dgeisler1238

Contributing Member

• Contributing Members
  • 6 posts
Neutral

Posted March 29, 2010 - 03:29 AM

Can you send me the link for the wheel alignment specs for the Carrera 996 Models?

#12 Loren

Loren

Porsche Nut

• Admin
  • 28,460 posts
Outstanding

Posted March 29, 2010 - 06:37 AM

The link works fine for me

http://www.renntech....p?showtopic=185

Loren

RennTech.org

PCA member since 1978

My Mods in the Registry

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

The RennTech.org site is Member supported!   Make an ANNUAL donation to RennTech.org    Make an ANNUAL donation to RennTech.org