Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Car cover while engine is still hot?

On the TT I always wait because the fan, to cool the engine compartment, can start at any moment if the engine bay reach about 172F. And this protection is available for maximum 40 minutes even if the car keys are in your pocket... What I do I put the cover on and leave the aft section on the roof un til I can touch the exhjaust system with my bare hand...

Edited by jpflip

On the TT I always wait because the fan, to cool the engine compartment, can start at any moment if the engine bay reach about 172F. And this protection is available for maximum 40 minutes even if the car keys are in your pocket... What I do I put the cover on and leave the aft section on the roof un til I can touch the exhjaust system with my bare hand...

Oh ok so i just cover like half the car, then wait for it to cool down, then put the rest on?

And i didn't get "172F. And this protection is available for maximum 40 minutes even if the car keys are in your pocke" what does that mean? Thank you for ur response!

This text is taken from Adrian Streather book called "Porsche 996 the essential companion". The bible, I love it...I will used his word because of my french thinking....

The engine overheat after shut-down protection system is activated for a maximum of 40 minutes after the ignition is turned off , and if the engine bay temperature is greater than 25C (77F) . If the engine bay temperature rises to or is already at a temperature in excess of 78C (172F) for more than 3 minutes the engine bay purge fan will be activated. The purge fan will stay running until the engine bay temperature drops below 78C (172F).

engine bay temp higher than 77F system activated and waiting ( in standby and monitoring for 40 minutes)

over 172F for more than 3 minutes fan start

below 172F fan stopped....

It is good to read it again and again It finally make sense ;-)