Call for Donations - All new donations go towards our 2014 operating expenses. Please consider an ANNUAL donation to help keep this site operating. Click here to Donate

Photo

Porsche 911 / 996 Water Leak Rear Floorwell During Rain

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 hotsauce

hotsauce

• Members
  • 7 posts
Neutral

Posted May 02, 2009 - 07:56 PM

Tried a search on this topic but most answers pertained to boxters and 944s, where there was much discussion, but very little pertaining to the 996. I have a 2000 porsche 996 cabriolet in San Francisco CA. I have noticed that sometimes during especially hard rains, water will build up in the right hand side rear passenger footwell, beneath the carpet. I have checked the roof pretty thoroughly and everything seems quite dry up there. Where could this water be coming from? The walls seem to be dry as well. I have found some discussion in other forums suggesting that 944s have a problem with drains clogging up underneath the battery box, but do not understand how this could leak into the rear right passenger footwell without soaking underneath the carpet of the front passenger footwell ;-) Is there some sort ventilation system that stretches to the back seat area? I removed some leaves from the drain area under the battery box and will report back if that stops the leak. BUT, any other ideas or suggestions would be much appreciated. I am hoping to avoid spending money unneceesarily if this is something that I can fix myself ;-) thanks much! Brian

#2 bhussung

bhussung

Contributing Member

• Contributing Members
  • 37 posts
Neutral

Posted May 03, 2009 - 08:54 AM

Tried a search on this topic but most answers pertained to boxters and 944s, where there was much discussion, but very little pertaining to the 996.

I have a 2000 porsche 996 cabriolet in San Francisco CA. I have noticed that sometimes during especially hard rains, water will build up in the right hand side rear passenger footwell, beneath the carpet. I have checked the roof pretty thoroughly and everything seems quite dry up there. Where could this water be coming from? The walls seem to be dry as well.

I have found some discussion in other forums suggesting that 944s have a problem with drains clogging up underneath the battery box, but do not understand how this could leak into the rear right passenger footwell without soaking underneath the carpet of the front passenger footwell ;-) Is there some sort ventilation system that stretches to the back seat area?

I removed some leaves from the drain area under the battery box and will report back if that stops the leak. BUT, any other ideas or suggestions would be much appreciated. I am hoping to avoid spending money unneceesarily if this is something that I can fix myself ;-)

thanks much!

Brian

There are other drains in the back on a Cab. Take a look at this: http://www.renntech....?showtopic=7791
MY00 C2 Cab
Rainforest Metallic Green

#3 dr914jr

dr914jr

Contributing Member

• Contributing Members
  • 216 posts
Neutral

Posted May 03, 2009 - 10:38 AM

The common leak in a 944 that you mentioned doesn't actually leak into the rear of the car. The drains under the rain guard at the base of the windshield get clogged than the water begins to rise. Eventually the water reaches the fresh air vents and pours into the climate control system. Your leak is most likely the result of the drains in aether side of the car becoming clogged. You can access them easily by looking for the holes as a friend operates the top.

#4 hotsauce

hotsauce

• Members
  • 7 posts
Neutral

Posted May 04, 2009 - 11:05 AM

Thanks to everyone for the quick and thorough response! I really appreciate your help. all the best, Brian

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

The RennTech.org site is Member supported!   Make an ANNUAL donation to RennTech.org    Make an ANNUAL donation to RennTech.org