Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Headlamp Issue

When you turn the headlights on do the dashlights and radio lights come on? Do all of the park or "position" lights come on, the tag lights? In short does every light that is suppossed to come on excepts the headlights? Have you ever replaced the ignition switch?

Also, what year and model of car. You can post it in your signature line, or just include it in your post.

When you turn the headlights on do the dashlights and radio lights come on? Do all of the park or "position" lights come on, the tag lights? In short does every light that is suppossed to come on excepts the headlights? Have you ever replaced the ignition switch?

Also, what year and model of car. You can post it in your signature line, or just include it in your post.

Its a Porsche Boxster 986 and everything comes on like it should except the headlamps. The issue started over a month ago when I replaced one of the headlamps as it went out but this burnt out after a few weeks and I replaced again and the same happened. This is the driver side only. Today both do not go on but bulbs are fine and so is the fuses. The ignition to my knowledge has never been replaced.

When I turn on the car the fogs highbeams etc all lights come on but the main beam.

Ok, I need to know what year, there is a difference in wiring diagrams. Is it a US or ROW car? Do you have Litronic lights or the standard bulbs. Does the car have headlight washers? Daytime running lights?

I know from changing my bulbs that the car connectors that make contact with the light assemblies are kind or hinky. There are seperate ground wires for each low beam bulb, and seperate fuses for each (A9 & A10) I think. The fact that both of them are out makes a ground problem seem unlikely.

Did both low beams stop working at the same time?

Have you checked the bulbs with an ohm meter? Or the fuses with a meter?

There is a list of things it could be, if you can answer the questions above I can narrow it down, but here is a list of possibilities so far:

Fuses, light bulbs, light switch, turn signal switch, headlight cleaners, DRL relay, ground points, the ignition switch, and wiring.

There are very few single component failures that could make BOTH low beams go out at the same time.

• 6 months later...

US 2003 Boxster S, Halogen headlamps, no washers

I seem to have the same issue. All lights work, interior, exterior with the exception of high and low beam headlights. Oddly High beam flash and the dim parking lights do work. Problem is intermittent, when High/Low beams do not work, both left and right sets are out at the same time. I do not have Day Light Running lights. I think this narrows it down to the ignition switch or the light switch. I am inclined to start with the ignition switch as I see so many post about problems with it.

DCorral

• Admin

US 2003 Boxster S, Halogen headlamps, no washers

I seem to have the same issue. All lights work, interior, exterior with the exception of high and low beam headlights. Oddly High beam flash and the dim parking lights do work. Problem is intermittent, when High/Low beams do not work, both left and right sets are out at the same time. I do not have Day Light Running lights. I think this narrows it down to the ignition switch or the light switch. I am inclined to start with the ignition switch as I see so many post about problems with it.

DCorral

If your problems are only lights then I would lean towards the headlight switch.

• Upvote 1