Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Mismatch Engine Numbers

I have recently made my first Porsche purchase, a low mileage (50K) 1999 996 Cab. It runs great and I love it. I have however discovered that the engine is not original. I have read that if Porsche replaces the engine, they also change the vehicles label- which did not happen on this vehicle. My question is whether there is any way to determine the origin of the replacement motor, whether it was a warranty replacement or a junk yard motor. I understand that remanufactured motors have an AT designation so I'm puzzled. The service records I have are obviously incomplete.

Original motor M96/0166XG9600. (Fairly certain from two labels that is a 'G' not a "6")??

Current motor M96/0166X15933

Thank you.

Where did you get the original motor number? The current engine S/N is not a reman number. Also, what do you mean by "label"? My car had the engine replaced under warranty and nothing was changed except the number which is stamped on the engine case.

Thank you Goldenwarrior1. I've since learned that I misinterpreted the number on the Identification label as being the engine number when it is actually the engine code followed by the five diget transmision code. I had read somewhere that dealers revised purchase documentation when replacing an engine under warranty but apparently that is not always the case. Without all the paperwork from original owner, it appears to be difficult to match an engine number with a VIN. I've learned that a Certificate of Authenticity is available from Porsche North America or through PCA - at a sizable fee.

Thank you for helping me sort this out.

Your first number is not an engine number, it is the transmission type number

G9600 is for years 99-01

G9601 is for years 02-05

Thank you slbates. You are correct. I was mistakenly reading this as an engine serial number when it is the engine code followed by the trans code as you pointed out. I'm learning that there appears to be no straightfoward way to link the original engine number with VIN without original purchase documentation. Still trying to validate the local porsche shop's opinion that this is a replacement engine.

66X is a 1999 M96-01 engine, and the serial numbering following that is in line with normal production. So why does someone think it would be a replacement?

Does it have blue paint anywhere near the oil pan area on the case?

I'm learning that there appears to be no straightfoward way to link the original engine number with VIN without original purchase documentation. Still trying to validate the local porsche shop's opinion that this is a replacement engine.

Not true - there are at least a few Porsche VIN decoders on the net, and you will be able to discover the original engine serial number in this way. Try http://www.autoatlanta.com/life/vin/vin.php (for basic information) or emailing to Suncoast Parts through their contact form. When I was looking for a P-car last summer, I would email Shawn the VIN and he would get back to me with some kind of computer factory printout.

Edited by spender

I'm learning that there appears to be no straightfoward way to link the original engine number with VIN without original purchase documentation. Still trying to validate the local porsche shop's opinion that this is a replacement engine.

Not true - there are at least a few Porsche VIN decoders on the net, and you will be able to discover the original engine serial number in this way. Try http://www.autoatlanta.com/life/vin/vin.php (for basic information) or emailing to Suncoast Parts through their contact form. When I was looking for a P-car last summer, I would email Shawn the VIN and he would get back to me with some kind of computer factory printout.

Thank you for the leads Spender. Great VIN decoder. I'll try contacting Suncoast for more info as well. Appreciate the help.