Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Replacement Convertible Top Manufacturers - Opinions Wanted

I have read these forums extensively and have only seen mention of Robbins and GAHH tops. In doing my research, I have found the following options for a replacement top ( made with A5 German Sonnenland Canvas) for a 2001 986 S:

$767 - GAHH

$600 - Germanex (Convertible Top Guys)

$479 - Robbins (TopsOnline)

$399 - Sierra Brand (Tops Direct)

The price points vary substantially, so given the fact that all are made with the same OEM canvas, the differentiation must be in the stitching, the cut/fit and "brand name" premium...

*** 44 views and no replies - someone must have an opinion on this topic....!

Edited by michaelsuder

I did an exhaustive search for the same topic several months ago as it is time for my top to be replaced. I had also decided to switch from a plastic to a glass window and after receiving very few answers on the forums I decided to go to the guys who do the installing in my area. I found about six installers who were within driving range because if I had any problems I wanted someone close by. Hands down they all recommended GAAH for a glass window because GAAH has a patented sealing process they claimed was like the OEM seal. If you aren't going for glass then they all recommended either GAAH or Robbins which I understand are one and the same now as one or the other bought the other out. I lucked out and picked a GAAH with glass window up off eBay for $329, it was being sold by the shop that had installed it on a customer's car and after two weeks he wanted another color so it was removed. It looks new but doesn't have the plug for the defrosters so I'll either have to buy one from GAAH or make one. Keeping checking around deals do come up. Hope this helps.

• 1 month later...

I just bought and installed a Sierra top from Auto Tops Direct. I got the A5 Acoustic with the glass window and defroster including cable for $679 plus shipping. The material is noticeably heavier than the original, and the acoustics are much improved. After you buy, they send a pdf file with excellent instructions -- the best I have seen. I have done a lot of mechanical and trim work but never a top myself; I was a bit concerned. I was able to get it done by myself in two four hour sessions. No problems. Just be careful with the adhesive and stretch the corners taut but not crazy tight. The 3M contact adhesive they recommend in the instructions does come off with acetone if you slop some.

Thanks for both responses. I'm actually going to replace with the same plastic window to allow for similar visibility. It looks as though I may go with the Robbins top then.

grmccloskey, I assume you re-used the original head-liner? Any issues/suggestions on removing / re-installing that?

Hi everyone,

I just bought my 2001 Boxster in February & love it! but it does need a new top. Everything seems to work fine mechanically but the fabric is bad & the rear window leaks. Thinking I can do this as a DIY project but would like opinions on the Robbins or GAAH tops. I plan on staying with the plastic window for originilaty sake.

any input from the group would be very much appreciated.

Bryan

Bryan:

Here is a DIY on installing the top: http://sites.google.com/site/mikefocke2/replacingthetop-adiy

Make sure you have the extra small parts that are needed before starting the job.

Definitely doable if have patience and don't cut corners.

The GAHH top and the Robbins top are comparable if you are staying with a vinyl window.

Regards, Maurice.