Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Experiences with CNA National Warranty

Hello!

After being hit with repair bill after repair bill on my 996, I am thinking of getting a warranty, offered by a local Porsche dealership. I would love to hear any good or bad experiences with CNA National Warranty!

Thank you!

If it's offered by the dealership see if they will stand behind the coverage offered by CNA.. Something in writing woud be nice.. If the dealership offers it it's possibly okay.. Dealerships LOVE warranty work. If this company had a bad rep for not paying claims it's unlikely the dealership would offer it.

What are the asking for the warranty and what does it cover?

• Upvote 1

Thanks.

They have a bunch of different programs and it will depend on the year/model/type of your car. For my 2001 c4 996, the program I am eyeing covers most things (less wear items) for 2 years 12,000 miles. The cost is about $4k.

Just make sure you do research on this company.. I have never heard of them.. Warranty companies are famous for using fine print in their contracts to get out of paying claims...I have had good experience with Easy Care. They have a good reputation. You might want to call them for a quote as well. Ask you dealer about them too. If you have a good local Indie call them and see what warranty companies they have dealt with.. Proceed with caution. There are a lot of bad companies out there..

You could always put L & N's IMS kit (since that is the major cause of 996 engine fallures) in the car and keep the balance of the $4k in a savings account for future repairs.

The loan company I got my 996 C4 2001 loan through offered me an extended warranty, I was very excited about it until I read the fine print and the most it would ever pay out over the life of the warranty was like $3000.00 I decided to just bank the money.

How many miles do you have on your 996 mine has around 52k. July 11th will be the end of my 3 month 3000 mile warranty that came with the car. I am hearing a little noise from right rear which could be a bearing or a tire. I need to get it in and checked out before the Warranty is completely out.

The company "Protective" that provided the 3 month/3000 mile "Drive Train Only" warranty has not contacted me about extending it.

I understand it is best to get a extended warranty when you already have one in effect but not sure if I will find one that is affordable.

I did have to eat a repair on the cab top already and I missed that the 6 CD changer did not work. I am keeping my fingers crossed on everything else and I will admit it is nerve wracking.

Update: I just located the extended Warranty it was through a "Outfit" called Route66. The warranty was the "First Street" warranty which only covers drive train like the Protective warranty that came with the vehicle.

Drive train would have been fine with me as the warranty was 36 months or 36000 additional miles which would have covered my vehicle into the 80k arena. But the fine print is I pay $1,130.00 up front and the most Route66 will ever pay out is $3000.00 or the NADA load value whichever is less. So basically not much coverage.

It was pretty disappointing.

But.. I did not have to come up with much money up front - so what could I expect ?

One other thing you need to be aware of is the warranty is void if I don't have proof of oil changes every 3000 miles. That is pretty tight on a car that can go ten k - correct me if I am wrong - between oil changes.

BTW - I don't plan on waiting ten k for my next oil change.

Don

Edited by barlowdo

I have a CNA extended warranty on my 2006 Boxster S I purchased through CarMax when I purchased the car from them last year. I got this because of my concern over the IMS failures. My car had 38k on it at the time and I paid around $1600 for a 5 year 100K warranty with a $300 deductable-not too bad I think. Pretty much bumper to bumper coverage. I figured if that is who CarMax partners with they must be pretty good. I also turned up pretty good customer and independent ratings in my research.

Exactly one year later I take my car into my Indy Porsche shop and get two calls. The first saying they suspect a cracked coolant reservoir that will cost $1000. The second call saying they they found a good number of metal shavings in the oil filter and they were suspecting a failing IMS! The shop contacted CNA and they said they would pay for the repairs 100%. Now after pulling the transmission and further investigation I was responsible to pay for if the diagnosis was wrong, it turned out it passed a leak test and the IMS was not failing. So, I can't tell you they would have been good to their word but I suspect they would have been.

So far I am glad I bought the warranty. It has given me peace of mind and my experience has indicated they were willing to step up to covering some major repair costs. I would purchase from CNA again.

• Upvote 1

Very good info, So obviously CNA does not have a max amount they will pay out like I experienced with Route66. I think I will look into CNA.

BTW- did your shop find what was causing the metal filings?

-Don

No Don. Never figured out the source since I am not fling to split the case. Will take my chances given I have CNA coverage and there appears to be a small failure rate on the M97 style IMS. Will drain the oil in 1000 mi to take another look.

• 2 years later...

Hi everyone,

I like many many others have fallen foul of the National Warranty Company. As it turns out the National Warranty Company is not just inadequate in paying out claims to their customers they are inadequate in following their obligations as a holder of a Financial Services License (AFSL) issued to them by ASIC.

I see that a number of people have complained to the ACCC and other toothless bodies. I’m afraid to say that we have all been barking up the wrong tree. If your claim is older than 21 days you can MAKE A COMPLAINT TO THE FINANCIAL OMBUDSMAN SERVICE (FOS) 1300 78 08 08.

My friend is a financial planner and he has suggested to me that they have a number failings under their obligations as an AFSL holder. He has suggested that I complain and that my complaint will almost certainly be viewed favourably by the various bodies.

He has suggested:

Step 1. Contact FOS (Financial Ombudsman Service). 1300 78 08 08 – FOS are the financial ombudsman and the majority of the time they find in the persons favour. National Warranty or Davantage, whomever the warranty is supplied through have to pay FOS for the handling of all complaints against them, this handling fee in itself can cost in excess of $5,000 – and if the loose they will have to pay your damages on top of that. Either way win or lose they have to pay FOS considerable sums for handling the complaint. If National Warranty are smart they will settle your case and pay your warranty claim which they should have rightfully done in the first place.

Step 2. Contact ASIC (Australian Investment and Insurance Commission). 1300 300 630 – Make a formal complaint. If at anytime you feel that National Warranty have misled or deceived you in anyway make sure you let ASIC know all about it.

Step 3. You may also complain to APRA for good measure. I am not sure how useful they are 1300 55 88 49.

Some key points I have discovered about this company and some of my experiences when dealing with them. If you have experienced anything like the below and decide complain to FOS and ASIC they are likely to take you very seriously.

1. I was never issued a PDS (Product Disclosure Statement)
  2. I was never issued an FSG (Financial Services Guide)
  3. My claim was rejected on the basis of servicing, servicing however would have had no effect on the failure. So it should be payable.
  4. The contractual terms are unachievable. It is deceiving and misleading and FRAUDULENT to issue a product which a refund, claim or otherwise is effectively inaccessible  
  5. The terms in the agreement are over technical and complicated
  6. At no time was I told that National Warranty was a holder of an AFSL. Furthermore it is not stated anywhere on their website. Only Davantage’s AFSL number is referenced “National Warranty Company is the trading name of Davantage Group Pty Ltd  (ABN 35 161 967 166AFSL 438157)”  YOU SHOULD ALWAYS KNOW WHO YOU ARE DOING BUSINESS WITH. This is clearly Misleading and Deceptive and against almost every rule in the book!!
  7. After much “googling” I found that National Warranty has its own ABN and AFSL number 290572. If you did not know that National Warranty was an actual company not just a “trading name” and if you did not know that National Warranty held its own financial services license; AND if you are still confused as to whom you are dealing with “Davantage” or “National Warranty Company”  MAKE sure you let ASIC know that as well. 1300 300 630
  8. At no point was I told by National Warranty that I could make a complaint to FOS, nowhere in their literature or website does it provide FOS’ contact details or inform anyone that they can make a complaint. This is an obligation under their AFSL. COMPLAIN to FOS! and if National Warranty have not told you that you can complain to FOS do not forget to mention this to FOS and ASIC. 1300 78 08 08

Some weblinks

FOS - http://www.fos.org.au/resolving-disputes/before-you-lodge-a-dispute.jsp

ASIC – www.asic.com.au

Please continue to share on this thread with any experiences that you have had with National Warranty and any success that you have with complaining to FOS and ASIC. The more everyone shares the quicker this company will stop scamming everyone!