Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Convertible top latch house bolts broke!

2000 boxster conv.

Anyone know how to fix the retaining bolts that hold the latch and done light assembly for the convertible latch lever? My screws won't tighten and I looked and the retaining nuts/bolts are in like 3 pieces on each hole and they are not tight together. What do I do? Can you even get to them to replace without cutting thru the metal?

Please email: blair@metrochamber.net

Thanks

Edited by Metrochamber

I had the same problem. The hard part was wresling the small 3 pieces out of the hole with long nose plier and flat head screw driver. Once I fight for about 30 minutes and all pieces were out, my brother put some nice insert for new bolt. He use insert often at is job where they fabricate cabinet for truck and minivan. If you can have acces to those inserte its really easy to repair and very solid.

Chris

So how did you exactly get the old busted ones out and how did you get the new ones in???

I'd love for you to contact me if you don't mind-

901-461-7318 cell

Thanks do much. I really appreciate it. It's been a burden without any Info. The dealer suggested I take it to a body shop for cutting out and welding back in!! Didn't want to do that.

• 3 years later...

Yes. Thanks , Bill and everyone else for the help. I ended up trading the car in and getting a 2010 Boxster. But I will say this is a great help as I don't know why Porsche would have used those half cut retaining nuts anyway. 

I got by by ramming some drywall anchors in the holes and then using metric screws to tighten it back down and they worked. Good enough for me to trade it in! 

Thanks