Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Kumho STX vs. Yokohama Parada Spec-X

Just bought a used set of 20" wheels and tires.  Tires are about 50% tread wear but manufacture dates are in 2007 and 2009.  275/40/20 Michelin 4X4 Diamaris.

Note: Not actual picture of "my" wheels but same style:

post-88071-0-84792700-1411526632_thumb.j

So I am concerned that the tires are too old.  They are Michelins, so they are suppose to be "good", right?

From what I have read from serveral web sites, tires should be changed within 5, 6 years.  So even if a set of tires were not in use for serveral years, they still degrade.  I want to keep using them but I do not know where they have "been", so I think I better look for new tires, even though they are MICHELINS.

From mostly the forum, I am thinking of Kumo STX or the Yokohama Parada Spec-Xs.

Clarksongli  stated in a previous post:

"For my summer/all season tire i run a Kuhmo STX.  GREAT MILEAGE, good snow performance, only 120bucks a tire, but NOISY.....they have a fairly wide tread block pattern, making them decent in snow with a capable driver.  They are also a decent offroad tire, and provide decent grip."

I have a question for Clarksongli:  The Kumho website states for the STX: Dry = 9, Wet = 7, Snow = 3.  Was your snow experience a "three" with snow or better?

Thanks for your reply and of course... opinions and suggestions from eveyone else is appreciated.

Thank you.

Oh yeah the snow performance was good....The wide blocks clear snow much better than a standard all season meaning they pack up less with snow.

I live on a pretty steep hill that climbs for about 1/2 mile....even in several inches I can still drive up it AND tow my neighbors.

I did have an issue once where I was offroad coming in at a really shallow angle to a ridge of ice.....The side bite on the tire just wasn't enough for the cayenne to roll up and over....ended up having to reverse out of the trail.

All this being said...they still are all seasons and cautious driving will be your friend. When the snow is to the bumpers I still rely on my snows to get me around.

I'm actually down to the wear bars now...and I'm excited to get some quieter tires haha....they do seem to get louder the lower the tread gets for some reason. I got about 30 K on the tires....Pretty good for a heavy suv.

Btw...I bought a set of wheels with the same tires back in the day....maybe a bit more than 50% the tires had not dry rotted and were in good shape....I drove them for over a season until two were cut up by a piece of metal on the road. That's when I got the stx

Edited by clarksongli

Thanks for the reply Clarksongli.

"Btw...I bought a set of wheels with the same tires back in the day."  are you referring to the Michelins or were they Kumhos?

Anyways, I bought the 20" wheels to replace the 22" TecArt wheels for "a while" before I get another Pirelli Scorpion Zero Asymetrico tire for it, sized 295/30/22.  Why another set of wheels?  In the year and a half that I've owned the 2005 CS, I have replaced three tires already.

Tire 1:  Pulled the passenger front tire off to inspect brake pads and rotors... rolled the tire away and heard what sounded like gravel in the tire, lots of gravel.  Turns out the previous driver had driven on that tire flat and damaged the inside of the tire and all that "gravel" was rubber pieces rolling around.

Tire 2:  Drove into a gas station and the drivers side front tire popped at the side wall.  Didn't see any pieces of metal or anything lying around.

Tire 3:  Drove out of McDonalds and just caught the edge of the curb.  Sidewall split.

Getting tired (no pun intended) of this.  The 295/30/22 are so low profile and I believe, load value too low for the CS (load value 103 I believe) that I think this is just going to go on and on.  The TecArt wheels look really good but I don't want an SUV that can't behave like a SUV, ie. at least have the ability to go on and off a curb.  Anyways, I am going to buy another 295/30/22 because the other three are good.

As for the 20" wheel set, I am looking at the Kumho STXs now, relying upon your experience.  At Americaswheels.com:

KUMHO - ECSTA STX KL12 275/40-20 106W,  they are $123.51.

Anyways, the 20" wheels with the 275/40/20 has more sidewall and takes the "bite" out of the rough roads since I think the original owner changed the springs and shocks to stiffer ones... too rough for me with the 22" wheels.

No i bought the used wheels with the michelins

The one negative i still come back to is the noise.  NEW they won't be terrible, but as the tread wears it will get louder.....it's loud enough to hear in the car while driving.  Like knobby offroad tires.

Like i said, i'm looking to buy another tire for next season.  I will be looking for an alternative if possible within the same price point.