Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

08 CTT - Top 5 failures that will leave me stranded? OCD !

I am a bit OCD about reliability and not having my family stranded on the side of the road! On this note I am willing to spend some money in preventative maintenance and repairs to buy more peace of mind.

On a 2008 Cayenne Turbo w/70k what are the top five common failures that could leave me stranded? Let's leave flat tires and running out of fuel off the list!

Here are some of the weak points I am aware of:

-Coolant fitting blowing out of coolant manifold on the back of the engine

-Plastic coolant pipe under the intake manifold failing

-High pressure fuel pump failing

-Air suspension pump or airbag failing

What else should I add to this list? I recall reading somewhere about the ignition switch or steering column switch failing and leaving the vehicle inoperable.

Advice would be appreciated.

Hi

There is a lot more which can fail. Isnt neccessary that you get stranded but maybe is causing you headache.

Just from my experience and what happend to me in the last 5 years with driving different cayennes.

Some things you mention already. There are few more to the list.

Not only the big plastic coolent tubes can fail, there are some small ones under the intake manifold which get bad after years. Happend to me. You cant continue to drive.

Cardan shaft is failing. Usually you feel it and you hear it when trouble is starting. I would check it.

Coolent reservoir. Exploision of the reservoir is a problem which happens to many guys here.

Water inside the car from glogged sunroof drain holes. Causing strange electrical problems. I had permanent PSM failures which sending the car to limp mode. Possible to drive but slowly. Check the forum for posts " wet floor"

Do some checking with your alternator. I had a failing one close to my home. Thanks god.

Isnt neccessary all this things will happen to you but be prepared it can be.

Thanks for adding to my list. I just checked the price for a new alternator - scary! Why on earth is it three times the cost of most German car alternators?

Does the exploding coolant reservoir give any warning signs before it lets go and at eight years and 70k miles should I replace it now?

• 1 month later...

With no warning my '08 CTT with 70k experienced the dreaded 'Coolant fitting blowing out of coolant manifold on the back of the engine' problem. 

What next? The coolant reservoir or maybe the coolant pipe under the intake manifold?

You will be taking off a load of items to get at these parts. Ie the manifold itself I'm pretty sure. I would change the temp sensor, thermostat and two associated gaskets, small Coolant tube pipes under manifold, Coolant Turbo 'T' and anything else looking rather tired vac pipes etc. Not sure if the 08 had a revised coolant expansion tank? Mine was replaced some years ago I see in my receipts of previous owner. If your really ocd and have money to burn under there is bank 1 and bank 2 knock sensors and cam positions sensor for each bank under there. 

I think given that list and assuming you have the metal aluminium Coolant pipes already being MY 08 you should be good to go. Oh except the starter motor hehe. 

Seriously When I did the head gaskets on my ctt 06 it was pretty bad, about $2500 for parts I bought. If the engine comes out you really don't want to do it again so I made sure I covered everything in one hit that was sensible, obviously your not taking your engine out.