Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

B&M SSK hits hard in 1,3,5th gear

99 C2 Coupe -

Just finished the DIY install and find the shifter seems to hit hard, like metal to metal, in all forward gear positions including reverse. Shifting back into 2nd, 4th and 6th hits smoother/softer - more like the feel of the stock shifter. Is this normal? FWIW - I've never owned a car with a ssk or driven one.

Reducing/increasing "end play" has no effect. I marked both cables before disassembly and had the car in neutral when I pulled out the stock shifter. Any ideas? Thanks.

Hi, my 6 speed had the same thing when I got it. I was able to balance out the difference by driving and adjusting as recommended by the guy I bought it from. There was more travel into certain gears then other. It was not a problem until I noticed that certain gears weren't engaging fully and occasionally would not stay in gear. With the problem of hitting a little something when heading into gear, I adjusted the blue connector until I got a uniform engagement (note this is with the engine off), then I started to adjust the black cable I tried for and hour and felt as though I was chasing the wind. Then I took it to one extreme and then the other and was able to find the proper amount of travel into gear, once I felt I had it I took it out in the suburbs and made some small adjustments as it seemed to react a little different when driving. It is not an exact science but you will get the feel for it. I now have a little resistance into all gears, that these shifters are common for and most love! But again you should feel uniform resistance while shifting into all gears, and an equal amount of travel into each gear. Should follow a pattern like this. up resistance in, down resistance in, and so on. But truely you have to take it on the road to get the finals right. Good Luck, I know I love the fast throw feel of these shifters! Happy New Year!

Just had this installed at my local shop, they have installed many of these. All the throws are the same as far as I can tell.

I was told to expect a "notchy" feel until it wore in, I think it feels great without wear! I was also warned about how weird an old style shifter will feel after getting used to it.

Glad to see this write-up since I too am looking for a B&M STS on the net, any suggestions where to buy from?

I'd also like to replace the stock stick of my MY 2K, any suggestions on what I should purchase? I like the round more traditional sticks.

Thanks,

Folks, I have the B@M short shifter now for 6 months and 5,000 miles and I am VERY happy with it. It is "notchy" and it somewhat reminds me of my Detomaso Pantera with the metal gates that you have the move the shifter through. I must say I always liked the solid precise notchy feeling of that shifter... you either got it right or you did not.... it kept you honest very much like a good double clutching technique with the glorious rev blip in the middle. With this shifter you are getting that exact feel. It becomes more of a racing car that a sport car. Loren installed it for me. Great job Loren.. thanks again!!

Glad to see this write-up since I too am looking for a B&M STS on the net, any suggestions where to buy from?

Thanks,

I got mine off ebay - $185 shipped. It was a real blast driving to work today - first time out of the neighborhood with the SSK. It already seems to be loosening up or I'm just forgetting how the stock shifter felt.

I see what you all mean about the "notchy" shift action. Way cool...! :jump:

Get the shifter adjustment took for what 7 bucks through sunset or whomever and use it to adjust the shift cables. Make sure that the nut isn't too tight but just enough to remove the forward and aft play. Further make sure it is in the right direction as per instructions, i.e. facing back or front- cannot remmeber. The shift tool makes a HUGE difference.

Thanks,

I got mine off ebay - $185 shipped. It was a real blast driving to work today - first time out of the neighborhood with the SSK. It already seems to be loosening up or I'm just forgetting how the stock shifter felt.

I see what you all mean about the "notchy" shift action. Way cool...! :jump:

Hi, my 6 speed had the same thing when I got it. I was able to balance out the difference by driving and adjusting as recommended by the guy I bought it from. There was more travel into certain gears then other. It was not a problem until I noticed that certain gears weren't engaging fully and occasionally would not stay in gear. With the problem of hitting a little something when heading into gear, I adjusted the blue connector until I got a uniform engagement (note this is with the engine off), then I started to adjust...

I don't find the SSK notchy at all (but I am running an OEM setup). It is crisp. If there is any notchiness, then it only exists when running through the detante at neutral. The feeback is sublime. As for the clack at the top of shifts, my experience would suggest that it is normal. As Dell mentions, it IS a bolt-action feel that very much adds an auditory feedback to shifts. It doesn't sound abnormal; it sounds deliberate and engaging. Indeed, if I didn't have the feedback, I might be uncertain as to whether the shifter was fully in place. However, I will add that this feedback is only at the end of shifts, not during the upshift.

Good luck and enjoy your shifters.