Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

What's with the white smoke?Related to what I think is busted cool

OK, so here's a link to the thread I started a couple of days ago about what I "think" is the coolant pipe issue. I pulled over almost immediately after the warning light came on and got towed home:

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?s...pid=162343&

I'm still waiting to find out what the dealer and warranty co. are going to do since I have them on record basically admitting they sold me the wrong warranty AFTER I requested specific coverage. so anyway after doing some reading and with the engine cold (sitting all night) I filled up the bone dry coolant reservoir and started the car for two reasons... 1. to just hear it run again so I would know that the motor still worked. and 2. to see if the coolant would start pouring out of the bottom of the engine.

Well two things happened. The car started up beautifully and sounded normal and after maybe 20 seconds or so, saw the drip drip drip underneath the car. While this was going on I noticed something that really scared me. WHITE SMOKE coming out of the exhaust pipes. yikes! It wasn't bluish and was much thicker than white misty type of exhaust that was coming from my truck(cold day) Of course the oil and engine temp were at the bottom of the gauge. When I turned the motor off I listened carefully and could hear a drip drip drip coming from right in the middle of the engine

So here's my question(s) What in the world would cause the white smoke to come from the exhaust? My first guess, based on descriptions from other users/cars/ and situations would be a blown head gasket but the engine wasn't driven after the warning light came on so I don't think it overheated. Please tell me it's a by product/related to the coolant pipe problem and my engine is probably fine!!!!!!!!! Seems like this big v8 would be a little more robust than to meltdown like that. A gear head buddy of mine suggested using some kind of Litmus test in the radiator to see if there's some bad stuff in there that might indicate a gasket problem but I can't figure out how to get to it. any directions from the learned ones?

I'm sure someone here has an idea from first hand experience or something they've seen or read. I should find out tomorrow what the warranty company is going to do. I had already found the parts list and was prepared to do TSB 1691 coolant pipe replacement if I found out I was stuck. But, this white smoke, if it ends up being a head gasket is WAAAAY beyond me. I can only imagine how much that would be to fix. any ideas as to cost or possible reasons?

sorry for the rambling but I"M FREAKING OUT HERE!!!!!!!

Edited by jplumlee

Loren, RFM, I have not heard this variant before on a Cayenne, any ideas ?

OK, so here's a link to the thread I started a couple of days ago about what I "think" is the coolant pipe issue. I pulled over almost immediately after the warning light came on and got towed home:

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?s...pid=162343&

I'm still waiting to find out what the dealer and warranty co. are going to do since I have them on record basically admitting they sold me the wrong warranty AFTER I requested specific coverage. so anyway after doing some reading and with the engine cold (sitting all night) I filled up the bone dry coolant reservoir and started the car for two reasons... 1. to just hear it run again so I would know that the motor still worked. and 2. to see if the coolant would start pouring out of the bottom of the engine.

Well two things happened. The car started up beautifully and sounded normal and after maybe 20 seconds or so, saw the drip drip drip underneath the car. While this was going on I noticed something that really scared me. WHITE SMOKE coming out of the exhaust pipes. yikes! It wasn't bluish and was much thicker than white misty type of exhaust that was coming from my truck(cold day) Of course the oil and engine temp were at the bottom of the gauge. When I turned the motor off I listened carefully and could hear a drip drip drip coming from right in the middle of the engine

So here's my question(s) What in the world would cause the white smoke to come from the exhaust? My first guess, based on descriptions from other users/cars/ and situations would be a blown head gasket but the engine wasn't driven after the warning light came on so I don't think it overheated. Please tell me it's a by product/related to the coolant pipe problem and my engine is probably fine!!!!!!!!! Seems like this big v8 would be a little more robust than to meltdown like that. A gear head buddy of mine suggested using some kind of Litmus test in the radiator to see if there's some bad stuff in there that might indicate a gasket problem but I can't figure out how to get to it. any directions from the learned ones?

I'm sure someone here has an idea from first hand experience or something they've seen or read. I should find out tomorrow what the warranty company is going to do. I had already found the parts list and was prepared to do TSB 1691 coolant pipe replacement if I found out I was stuck. But, this white smoke, if it ends up being a head gasket is WAAAAY beyond me. I can only imagine how much that would be to fix. any ideas as to cost or possible reasons?

sorry for the rambling but I"M FREAKING OUT HERE!!!!!!!

I think you're over reacting, it could be nothing at all. These engines are not known for head gasket problems and you say you didn't over heat the engine so all should be well. Get the coolant pipes replaced and enjoy your ride again.