Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

'04 Carrera CD Changer Install

• Admin
Can a '04 Carrera with the Bose system get the Porsche CD changer installed if it didn't come with one from the factory? Are the cars prewired for the CD changer? Is this a big deal/expense?

Yes, No (...well kind of), depends/Yes.

Buy one and Jeff and I will put it in.

(ps. I deleted your second post on the same subject)

• Moderators

You can put the changer in, but the PST2 is needed to code it.

You have to buy the changer, mounting bracket, and the harness. The harness has your usual copper wires for power and ground, and the fiber optic connections.

I have put in many changers in pre MOST cars and would like to try the new CDC-4. We might be able to get Peter to code it for a nominal charge. Jeff

It is my understanding that you also need a Most-bus connection cable if the car didn't come with the optional "pre-wiring for CD changer".

This cable does not come in the CDC-4 retrofit package.

The Most cable to connect the changer is different for the cars with Bose sound system and/or telephone module.

Any of you guys have the list of cables that applies to the US cars?

• Moderators

I was at the parts department Saturday trying to figure out the part numbers for the fiber optic cables for a 2003 Boxster cd changer. There are 5 fiber optic cables listed. The parts guy was not sure. Someone with a 996 had ordered the CDC-4 and ordered a few cables - hoping one of them would be correct.

996 622 706 00 is listed for the M692 option (cd changer). But there are other cables for the same option depending on what sound system you have - such as Bose.

• Moderators

Was told $881.05 for 000 044 900 72. Shop around.

Poursha and I have been trading emails so we can get a parts list for the new CDC-4 "goofy" fiber optic MOST system that started in MY03.

Hope this will be a RennTech first.

Some pics from Bryan. Jeff

03_cd_changer1.jpg

03_cd_changer2.jpg

03_changer1.sized.jpg

03_changer_on_C4_1.sized.jpg

Success! Got my car back today with the CD changer installed.

I have a '04 C2 coupe with Bose, and bought the following parts:

996 622 705 00 fibre optic harness

000 044 900 72 CD changer retrofit kit (contains changer, cartridge, brackets, electrical harness, bolts, etc.)

The dealer charged $350 (just under 3 hours labor) to install. The cost of parts can vary by more than 50%, so my advice is to shop around. The local dealer told me that the CD changer kit is back ordered and Porsche can't give them an ETA, so their guess is it's at least a month out, so you'll need to find a dealer with one in stock. There are around 10 different fibre optic harnesses, depending on configuration (Bose or not, C2 vs. C4, etc.) so make sure the parts guy gets you the correct one.

Total cost installed was around $1,100. Obviously cheaper to order it from factory, but I bought my car off the lot.

Thanks for all your assistance, and I'm happy to answer any questions anyone may have.

Edited by Poursha

A further iteration to this question:

Is there any way that a non-Porsche, in-dash cd changer (eg. Nakamichi) can be installed into a '04 TT coupe w/ Bose system? Does anyone manufacture a component that would interface this w/ the MOST system?

Also, will PCM II allow for an XM receiver to be hooked into it?

Thanks in advance,

Jeff

• Moderators

There is a lot of info on the Becker board. Becker makes the standard CDR-23 radio and optional PCM2.

If you have the HiFi or Bose option then you have MOST. The only changer that will work is the Becker CDC-4 sold only by Porsche.

Porsche has proprietary extensions to the exchange on the MOST optical bus, and without reverse engineering or help from Porsche other companies are out of luck.

The CDR-23 radio and PCM2 do not have auxillary inputs, such as for XM. You have to use an FM modulator.

This is the info I see on the Becker board.

http://members4.boardhost.com/beckerboard/

Mr. Pants (I didn't think it appropriate to call you "Mr. Tool") ---

Thanks for your reply w/ the link to the Becker board. I've posted a question over there as well. Becker does not appear to be carrying receivers or CD changers anymore, at least on their website.

Well, I am not audio electronics savvy so what is a FM Modulator, and what does it do for me in this case? (to refresh I have a '04 TT w/ PCM II and full Bose system; standard equipment for this year's TTs).

I have read some sketchy info on other boards regarding the addition of a parallel wiring harness to get around and/or work in tandem w/ the MOST bus. Any words of wisdom on this?

Thanks,

Jeff

Here is Raman's fiber optic cables for a Boxster with the HiFi option.  Anyone have instructions? :cursing:

Raman_changer_001.sized.jpg

Those fibre optic harnesses are like 8 headed monsters! When I got mine, I couldn't believe how complicated it looked, and it was clear to me what instructions to use:

1. pick up telephone

2. dial local Porsche dealer

3. make installation appointment

4. bend over and take it like a man when they hand you the bill

5. save the inner handy man for another project... :D

All kidding aside, I think this is one of those examples where technological advances make a DIY pretty much impossible. But if anybody can do it...it's you guys! :notworthy:

FYI--I paid $350 to have mine installed.

Edited by Poursha

• Moderators

I am beginning to see the fiber optic light.

Part of the puzzle we could not figure out yesterday is why there were 4 fiber optic cables in the bag and not enough places to plug them into. Raman pulled his radio head and it already had 2 fiber optic cables going to it and no place to add more cables - same thing for the amp. I also saw room for only 2 cables from the changer. Then Loren sent a fiber optic cable wiring diagram which solved part of the mystery. There is a 'junction box' for the cables which explains why we came up short on where to plug them into . All of these cables meet in the junction box. Raman is now looking for the junction box.

Then the parts list for the cables has 3 additional parts listed after the fiber optic cables themselves, for a cable holder. I did not know if you had to buy the cable holder parts as a separate item or if it was included in the fiber optic kit. I found this part in the bag and it sure looks like a cable holder.

Raman_changer_015.sized.jpg

Then the parts list for the cables has 3 additional parts listed after the fiber optic cables themselves, for a cable holder.  I did not know if you had to buy the cable holder parts as a separate item or if it was included in the fiber optic kit.  I found this part in the bag and it sure looks like a cable holder.

Raman_changer_015.sized.jpg

Yes--that piece was in the bag with the fibre harness. In the picture I took of it, it's on the left side, at around 9:00.

• 1 month later...

Let me try to help.

The MOST fiber optic is only used when a HiFi or Bose sound amplifier and/or a CD changer is part of the system.

A system may consist of the head unit CDR23/6612 and a HiFi or Bose sound amplifier. The Amp needs 12Volt, a ground connection and a fiber optic wire comming from the head unit and one fiber optic wire returning to the head unit. Both fiber optic leads mount in one connector.

To add a CDC4 you again need 12 Volt and ground to power the changer and you need to daisy chain it into the MOST circuit. That requires you to reconfigure the MOST wiring. One MOST lead remains as is, from the head unit to the amp. A new MOST wire runs from the amp to the changer and the second original MOST wire from the amp, now connects also to the changer and returns to the head unit.

To reconfigure the MOST cabling you need to unclip the wire insert from the connector housing. To remove a wire from the insert you need to pull a tiny green plug to unlock the wire end.

• 1 year later...

ummmm, loren or toolpants can any of you tell me if you look in the tsb items L, M and N seem to be pins for connecting wires to???? If this is the case I am wondering is there an alternative to this as its about a 4 week wait from germany for these 3 items.. I just received my cdc4 today great littel unit now i just need to get it fitted

thanks