Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

99 996 C2

Just noticed a rattle when you hit rough roads directly behind driver's left ear--head level

Thought it was my side window. Rulled that out with passenger in back seat.

Thouht it might be seat belt area around slot...can't tell for certain...

Anybody had similar rattle?

thx...

Jim

I have a 99 C2 myself and had a rattle in the same spot. It turned out to be a loose rear side window. I pulled back the rubber on the outside of the window at the bottom and found a small wedge that holds the window tight was loose. All I did was to slide the wedge towards the front of the car and it got tight against the window and eliminated the rattle. just get a flat butter knife to peel the rubber back a little and then you can grab it with your fingers and look at the entire of the window bottom for the wedge. If the wedge is easy to move it is too loose.

Good Luck

Hi Jim

I had a creaking sound from this area which I tracked down to the sunroof mounting point, directly above the seat belt slider.  The torx bolt had loosened off, causing movement between the frame  and roof.

Thx Richard.

I'll check that out...how do you get to it without taking off the s/room?

Jim

I have a 99 C2 myself and had a rattle in the same spot.  It turned out to be a loose rear side window.  I pulled back the rubber on the outside of the window at the bottom and found a small wedge that holds the window tight was loose.  All I did was to slide the wedge towards the front of the car and it got tight against the window and eliminated the rattle.  just get a flat butter knife to peel the rubber back a little and then you can grab it with your fingers and look at the entire of the window bottom for the wedge.  If the wedge is easy to move it is too loose.

Good Luck

Are you talking about the small 50mm metal space located about midway between front and back of the side window?

Thx

Jim

Hi Jim

I had a creaking sound from this area which I tracked down to the sunroof mounting point, directly above the seat belt slider.  The torx bolt had loosened off, causing movement between the frame  and roof.

Thx Richard.

Jim

If you take off the seatbelt mounting and slider, take off the slider/post cover, unclip the plastic cover at the top, you will see a torx screw holding the roof bracket. (That's from memory - it's late at night here!)

And the small rubber pieces under the rear windows? - I changed mine for the longer ones shown in the TSB - shame on you for not looking there first! :rolleyes:

Hi Jim

Thx Richard.

Jim

Hi Richard...

OK I'm with you now. I'll pop that off tomorow and check the torx screw for tightness...

Good 'talking' to you again...

Jim

If you take off the seatbelt mounting and slider, take off the slider/post cover, unclip the plastic cover at the top, you will see a torx screw holding the roof bracket. (That's from memory - it's late at night here!)

And the small rubber pieces under the rear windows? - I changed mine for the longer ones shown in the TSB - shame on you for not looking there first! :rolleyes:

Yes that sounds like the one. It is a small metal block of some sort that holds the window tight. It was an easy fix for me. I just slid the block forward until it got tight and that was my rattle.

Good Luck

Are you talking about the small 50mm metal space located about midway between front and back of the side window?

Thx

Jim

Jim --

I have a rattle like this in the same spot -- on both sides of my C4s. Minde sounds more like a ticking than a rattle actually -- and whenever I go over rough roads -- like a piece of metal is loose in the frame. I've had these noises since I got the car. I've had the car in the shop for over 15 days -- on three separate occasions -- had a Porsche NA guy listen to it. Have gotten nothing but the runaround and a lot of mechanics -- as well as the dealer -- telling me that the car is very stiff and will get these rattles and not to sweat it. They even showed me a piece of loose plastic they said they found in the car just to get me off their backs. But its still there, and still drives me crazy. So if you figure out what it is, please let me know. (I'll also try the suggestions above.) And any others anyone may have...

Dig

If its on both sides of the car then I would seriously look at both your side windows. They are known to rattle and the fix is pretty simple if it is, in fact, the side windows.

Here's what you do. Read TSB 6475 on this board

Pull the bottom weather strip seal back on the of your rear side windows. Use a thin plastic spatula to do this. In the center you will see a small 50mm metal spacer. With the tip of a flat blade screw driver try to move the spacer about 1/2 inch toward the B pillar. Move it a max of an inch only and no more than that. Do this on both sides of the car.

Drive the car and see if this eliminates or reduces he noise you are speaking about. If it does, then chances are you need to replace the spacers with the new longer version which are about $3.00 each at your dealership.

If that doesn't work let me know, there is another area that you can take a look at and I can walk you thru it. This would involve the rear interior trim panel just below your rear window. I had some rubbing there and, it sort of sounded like a ticking sound...that's a simple fix as well...but try the spacers for the windows first and see if that quiets it down a bit.

Good luck.

Jim

Thanks Jim -- I took a look below the weather strip and found a longer plastic spacer - no metal. It could be that the dealership installed them when they were trying to fix the noise. I figured it couldn't hurt to try so I moved them forward on both sides. No luck. Let me know. It sounds like a piece of metal is loose somewhere in the frame of the car behind me.

Thanks

Doug

OK Try this.

Directly below the rear windscreen is a a trim piece covered in either vinyl or leather depending upon your car's interior configuration.

It runs the width of the car directly above the rear shelf.

Take it out (there are 5 metal clips. Start at one end and gently pry one end loose. You can't brake anything. They are evenly spaced across the length of the trim piece and I think one is directly in the middle so you should be able to feel where they are attached. It takes about 30 seconds to remove it.

Once out take your car for a spin and see if you hear the noise. If you don't then its a matter of tightening the clips (use of felt tape works great around the insert points to thicken them up a bit).

If this doesn't work then I am at a loss.

BTW, the spacers for the window are metal...at least mine are and they are about 2.00 each. Its still possible that the plastic ones aren't doing their job.

Let me know...

Jim --

I have a rattle like this in the same spot -- on both sides of my C4s.  Minde sounds more like a ticking than a rattle actually -- and whenever I go over rough roads -- like a piece of metal is loose in the frame.  I've had these noises since I got the car.  I've had the car in the shop for over 15 days -- on three separate occasions -- had a Porsche NA guy listen to it.  Have gotten nothing but the runaround and a lot of mechanics -- as well as the dealer -- telling me that the car is very stiff and will get these rattles and not to sweat it.  They even showed me a piece of loose plastic they said they found in the car just to get me off their backs.  But its still there, and still drives me crazy.  So if you figure out what it is, please let me know.  (I'll also try the suggestions above.)  And any others anyone may have...

Dig

Hi Dig - welcome to the club