Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Removing intake to get to alternator

'01 986 non-S 5-speed. '01 5-sp non-S 986. I've already had the alt out; replaced voltage reg. Access panel removed. Shelf/carpet/engine cover removed. I can see the engine compartment from the top-- all I see is the intake manifold (resonating "pipe organ") and power steering reservoir.

Now, I'm putting the alt back in with refitted volt reg back onto engine block. I've tried to replace it by putting it back in through the access hole/panel in the fire wall from the pass. compartment. Can't get it back in there. Not enough wiggle room. The intake manifold is acting like a rib cage. I can't get at the alt from the top. I'm considering removing the intake manifold (graphic below) to get access to the alt from the top. Advisable? What pitfalls to watch out for? Etc. Thank you in advance.

Edited by Loren

Update: I've looked into removing the intake. I'll do it if I have to, but the bolts in the diagram are obscured by various wiring harnesses and other obstacles. Jesus, could Porsche have packed ^&*$ in any more compactly? Another hour on it this evening and I threw in the towel for now. Start fresh in the morning. I'll probably try and lift the back of the alternator in place with some bailing wire through the opening in the intake up above. The post from Dubai stating that this was a 2 hour job was quite optimistic.

You dont need to remove the intake.  Its a tight fit getting it in and out but it will fit back in for sure.

PTEC,

I appreciate the quick response. Especially on the weekend when you've got other stuff going on. Many thanks. Well, here's the scoop. I've worked on it for more than five hours trying to hoist it into place with bailing wire, leveraging it with a wrench, using twine to try and move wires out of the way, with an unhappy assistant.

Edited Update: the alternator is in place after removing the coolant line and the plate that holds the lower "eye" bolt hole for the alternator. The problem now is that I dropped the pulley spacer that goes on the longer bolt into the "drink" that is in the pan below (small amount of coolant came out, held line upright after that).

Also, the bolt does not want to start because the threads on the upper rear alternator appear to be somewhat chewed. If I remove the alternator, which is not a hard task now, I'll have to clean up those threads if possible, and refit.

Taking a much needed break now and washing off blood, grease, coolant. :oops:

Thanks for all the help.

David

Edited by Moose