Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Discs Pads amd Major service for 99 Boxster

Getting the following:

New Drilled Discs all round

New Brakepads all round and new flkuiod hydraulic etc..

Major Service - filters - aire filter and the works for a major 80,000.00 Service.

What cost would you say it reasonable from OPC

What cost from an independent?.

I have heard the brakes and discs to supply and fit etc is about £1,000.00 plus!!

I have a Boxster - I have been given a quote and think it is a good deal - interested to know what you guys think I should be paying!..

Cheers!

Edited by DG.

DG -

I just did a full brake job on my MY99 Boxster. I got the pads, rotors and sensors from All German Parts (www.allgermanparts.com). They have package deals offered on eBay. Here is a link to a package for the rears - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-Box...itemZ7990787144

The rotor I purchased are canmium plated to prevent rust. The rears were US$270. I think the fronts were US$10 less. I have put about 300 miles on them and think they are great. The rotors look good and the pads haven't made any noise. I haven't really stepped on the brake hard yet. I have wanted to let them breakin a bit and I just haven't had to. They grip plenty well for my daily commuting. I don't autocross.

My Boxster has 45000 miles on it so I decided to replace the spring-clips and caliper bolts as well. I figured this was the first full brake job. I read that you really want to replace the caliper bolts each time as Porsche recommends. I bought the bolt and spring-clip kits from a Porsche dealer (Sunset Imports). The parts sales person said you really want to do it because the bolts are under a lot of pressure and they actually stretch. I placed the old up against the new and found this to be true. Nearly 1/16" on the front.

Sunset Imports has the best pricing for any Porsche dealer I have found. Here is a link to them - www.sunsetimports.com

Out the door I spent under US$700 on the parts and only had to pay for the beer in order to enlist my brothers help with the work. Detailed instructions on how to do it can be found at www.bombaydigital.com/boxster/projects/brakes/

And a huge THANK YOU to both my brother and Trygve Isaacson at Bombay Digital for his very informative instructions.

Good luck with your project.

Regards,

-pvaughan

• 2 weeks later...
DG -

I just did a full brake job on my MY99 Boxster. I got the pads, rotors and sensors from All German Parts (www.allgermanparts.com). They have package deals offered on eBay. Here is a link to a package for the rears - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-Box...itemZ7990787144

The rotor I purchased are canmium plated to prevent rust. The rears were US$270. I think the fronts were US$10 less. I have put about 300 miles on them and think they are great. The rotors look good and the pads haven't made any noise. I haven't really stepped on the brake hard yet. I have wanted to let them breakin a bit and I just haven't had to. They grip plenty well for my daily commuting. I don't autocross.

My Boxster has 45000 miles on it so I decided to replace the spring-clips and caliper bolts as well. I figured this was the first full brake job. I read that you really want to replace the caliper bolts each time as Porsche recommends. I bought the bolt and spring-clip kits from a Porsche dealer (Sunset Imports). The parts sales person said you really want to do it because the bolts are under a lot of pressure and they actually stretch. I placed the old up against the new and found this to be true. Nearly 1/16" on the front.

Sunset Imports has the best pricing for any Porsche dealer I have found. Here is a link to them - www.sunsetimports.com

Out the door I spent under US$700 on the parts and only had to pay for the beer in order to enlist my brothers help with the work. Detailed instructions on how to do it can be found at www.bombaydigital.com/boxster/projects/brakes/

And a huge THANK YOU to both my brother and Trygve Isaacson at Bombay Digital for his very informative instructions.

Good luck with your project.

Regards,

-pvaughan

Thanks for the information - I am getting it all sorted now after reading posts like this - I am getting a full major service and brake pads all fitted for £750.00 - I am in England!!!!

Thanks for you help - I was initially quoted £1700.00 just for labour - and I mean £s not $!!!!!

• 6 months later...
£750 -- that won't be at an OPC then...

No - Not OPC..

He is an Independemt...

That shout be Independent crook!.

I asked for A major service - he did a minor service and as yet - 5minths down the line - has not furninshedme with the official invoice..

Now - I could have got a Minor service from Porsche for £450.00 and a Major for £534.00!!

I should have gone to OPC and just got the extras done independently..

:censored:

• 1 month later...

I am about to do the same and did not realize the parts are so cheap! :clapping:

I will get the parts from here:

http://www.type-911.co.uk/gp_brakes.htm

Front pads are £44.00, 2.5 discs are £40.00 each

Rear pads are £44.00 and rear discs are £36.00

So doing it DIY you could replace all the main parts for £240+VAT + the labour (which I will be doing myself :D )

I doubt any competent garage would charge any more than £200 to fit that lot. And that would be them taking their time as well....

• 2 weeks later...

I've just done the front discs and pads (Boxster S)

got the discs/pads from www.gsfcarparts.com in the Uk for £190.35 delivered. they came next day and took about 2 hours to fit including giving everything a good clean and polishing the calipers with wheel wax.

Edited by perry190