Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Car is 2002 model 3.6 C2 tip

Car was driving OK for the past few days, but has slowly developed a whine when the torque convertor slips under gear shift - this happens at all gears, and speeds, and all throttle positions.

Then today, after 10 mins drive I came to a stop, tried to pull away - no drive.

Just like I was in Neutral.

moved the selector to reverse, nothing.

Moved car into neutral - starts to creep, so with a bit of gas I can move forward, enough to get me home ( less than 1/4 mile)

Seems to slip a lot - no real power

No reverse at all though.

Disconnected battery, retarted - identical - only moves in N.

All the interlocks work as normal

Any clues ?!

David

David,

silly question, but how much ATF you have? Just wonderin if you have lost fluid and got no pressure. Have you check fluid? May have a leak, and to check fluid you got to get the car up on jacks, get the engine running and remove the fill plug on the bottom of the car. Check out the DIY for ATF fluid change for some pics

Car is 2002 model 3.6 C2 tip

Car was driving OK for the past few days, but has slowly developed a whine when the torque convertor slips under gear shift - this happens at all gears, and speeds, and all throttle positions....

I think that the torque converter is only used in 1st gear for launch.

just had a look under the car - there is a small amount of fluid under teh gearbox.

I jacked up the car, and found that it was coming from the ATF cooler (can't see where exactly)

The total fluid loss is only a few cc's - hardly anything at all.

How sensitive are Tip's to fluid level / loss ?

I can't imagine that this amount of loss would cause this type of problem, unless it is a symptom of something more serious in the gearbox ?

Thanks

David

I could venture that since it has been getting worse over a few days, you might have lost a few quarts while driving to the point you got now. Only way to know is to refill it and see if works. Then find the leak. You can use a pressure filling device (pressure tank) or fluid transfer type of pump. At least remove that variable from the equation.

I think Izzy may have it. I would not start the car again until you have done a complete drain and refill of the ATF (with filter change). You can damage the pump and the front bearing by running low on fluid. The whine you hear my be the pump starving. Fluid pressure is require to make the valve body work correctly. I think the Tips go into limp mode with 4th gear only operation.

sorry to hear you have problems with the gearbox again David

Hope it something simple like fluid leak

Cheers

Paul

Me too !

Getting to be a bit of a pain really;

it's a shame cos the car is so good in all other areas.

PCT are taking it back in on Thursday - let's just hope they can fix it quickly !

Sue wants to know if Kerry got the bit in around the toilet OK ?!!!

Are you still wearing a chisel ?

David

Fingers crossed for you then

Flooring all done and a good job she's done job too!

I finished up with mastic etc but the rest is all her own work - redeemed myself helping with the finishing so no chisel for me, phew!

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update - The cars been in the workshop now for 10 days.

The guy who transported the car over to the workshop was guessing at fluids also.

However, all the workshop have said so far is "nope, not fluids, it's much more serious than that " !

Looking forawrd to a phone call from them today ....

David

David,

Does the dash indicator reflect the position of the lever? I know you said all interlocks working normal. If not, its a fairly easy fix - if so, its :(

Its a pity we get only 2 years' warranty, I'm looking forward to the OPC telling me the RMS and rocker cover are leaking again... They don't warrant warranty work apparantly.

David,

Does the dash indicator reflect the position of the lever? I know you said all interlocks working normal. If not, its a fairly easy fix - if so, its :(

Its a pity we get only 2 years' warranty, I'm looking forward to the OPC telling me the RMS and rocker cover are leaking again... They don't warrant warranty work apparantly.

Hi yes - the dash indicator followed the action of the lever. It's the gearbox that's screwed up !

David

PCT have subbed it out to somewhere elese to rebuild the box - some where in central Birmingham ?

They will then rebuild back into the car.

This is what they did last time, earlier this year !

The box actually states 'mercedes Benz' on the ident plate - as well as ZPF, Tiptronic, and a Porsche part number !

I spotted this when I jacked it up to find the source of the fluid leak

David

Just a quick update - heard from the garage this morning that the car will be ready for collection tomorrow.

Apparantly, the problem was the torque convertor drive pinion (?)

I'm not sure that this 'fault' would hvae given some of the symptoms, i.e. messed up shift locations...or maybe I'm wrong ( I don't know that much about tip gearboxes !)

Anyone care to hazard a guess ?

David

• 2 weeks later...

Just a concluding update - car all back & fixed

It needed a new torque convertor

Talking to the guys at the workshop, it seems that when the car went back in Feb to have a new torque convertor, the transmission rebuild company actually re-built the original torque convertor...

Probably explains why it only lasted 4 months !

All smoth shifting now (fingers crossed!)

David