Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Cayman Vents on Boxster

I've got a set of painted Cayman vents coming from Eric@Bumperplugs.com. I was under the impression this would be a direct swap for the vents on my 987S. Now I'm not so sure. Can anyone verify if it is or isn't a direct swap and if not what parts I'll need to facilitate this swap? I'll post pics when done.

Thanks!

car1.jpg

The Cayman frames are 987 504 749 02 01C and 987 504 750 02 01C. The mounting clips for the frames are the same for 987/Cayman so I guess they are not needed. For the price he charges I would think the frames were included.

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/show...ght=cayman+vent

Thank you very much. I'll withhold commenting on price until I see the quality.

The Cayman frames are 987 504 749 02 01C and 987 504 750 02 01C. The mounting clips for the frames are the same for 987/Cayman so I guess they are not needed. For the price he charges I would think the frames were included.

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/show...ght=cayman+vent

Thank you very much. I'll withhold commenting on price until I see the quality.

I found out the frames are not included. The set was just $75 so I had him add it to my order. Thanks for the info, I would have been quite frustrated to not be able to install them when they arrive without more parts.

I ordered the Cayman side vents from Suncoast a couple of days ago. Price was around $120 shipped. (Note these are unpainted unlike the ones from BumperPlugs.)

Reading this thread and others had me concerned that I would have to order the vent frames seperately so I just called Suncoast. They said it was a complete kit and included the frame and everything needed to install them.

Any thoughts on what a reasonable price is for a body shop just to paint my new vents arctic silver?

I ordered the Cayman side vents from Suncoast a couple of days ago. Price was around $120 shipped. (Note these are unpainted unlike the ones from BumperPlugs.)

Reading this thread and others had me concerned that I would have to order the vent frames seperately so I just called Suncoast. They said it was a complete kit and included the frame and everything needed to install them.

Any thoughts on what a reasonable price is for a body shop just to paint my new vents arctic silver?

Here is my break down from bumper plugs, do remember these are arriving painted, but man it's taking forever.

Side Vents, no core, $279

Vent Frames, $75

Door Plug, $13.95

Clear Sidemarkers for 987, $32

Shipping estimate: $11

More than double the price, even painted seems a bit high. I've said before I'll reserve judgement until they arrive. I don't mind a premium price, as long as it's a premium product.

you should be more than satisfied with eric's products

if you have a problem, let him know, and he will take care of it

a body shop will paint it like they would any plastic

eric uses some type of multi step process that makes it come out like OEM

he's been online for years and supports many forums and events

aloha

steve

Here is my break down from bumper plugs, do remember these are arriving painted, but man it's taking forever.

Side Vents, no core, $279

Vent Frames, $75

Door Plug, $13.95

Clear Sidemarkers for 987, $32

Shipping estimate: $11

More than double the price, even painted seems a bit high. I've said before I'll reserve judgement until they arrive. I don't mind a premium price, as long as it's a premium product.

For the price he charges I would think the frames were included.

When we first set up the system for painting these vents, the charge is fixed based on labor and materials. These are extremely difficult parts to paint. Probably one of the toughest things we have ever faced. Because of the cavity, and our own anal-retentiveness, there are small areas that will tend to create runs or spots after they are done. We end up doing them about six times to get perfection. This involves a ton of prep, then buildup for the layering, then resanding, etc, etc.

We were also mistakenly informed by our Porsche source that it was a plug-and-play deal, and only the exterior component was needed.

Only after the first installation did we uncover the fact that the inner bezel trim and clips/seals are required. We supply them at our cost.

Sorry if there's been any confusion on this, but these things come out so nice, but are a real pain to produce. Add 110 degree heat outside the booth, and no one is very happy these past few weeks!

:(

For the price he charges I would think the frames were included.

When we first set up the system for painting these vents, the charge is fixed based on labor and materials. These are extremely difficult parts to paint. Probably one of the toughest things we have ever faced. Because of the cavity, and our own anal-retentiveness, there are small areas that will tend to create runs or spots after they are done. We end up doing them about six times to get perfection. This involves a ton of prep, then buildup for the layering, then resanding, etc, etc.

We were also mistakenly informed by our Porsche source that it was a plug-and-play deal, and only the exterior component was needed.

Only after the first installation did we uncover the fact that the inner bezel trim and clips/seals are required. We supply them at our cost.

Sorry if there's been any confusion on this, but these things come out so nice, but are a real pain to produce. Add 110 degree heat outside the booth, and no one is very happy these past few weeks!

:(

I just want to say that Eric did the vents on my Boxster 987S and did a GREAT job. The work quality and customer service was excellent. Eric was also very responsive during communications via- emails.

I wish I had more stuff to paint it was so much fun!!