Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Broken Lug Lock Key

I went to remove one of my rear tires today, after getting a flat. I was able to nurse it home and get it into the garage, but when I went to remove the lugs, the lug key snaped in half! :cursing: Can I get a new key from any tire shop, or is it special to porsche? I really don't want to have to get it towed.. Any advice appreciated!!

Thanks,

Brant

-MY00 996 Cab

• Moderators

You are not the first. I removed the locking bolts and put standard ones on long ago. Not because my key broke, but because they are a pain.

It has been said they are made by McGard, but I have never seen a source other than Porsche. I think it is special to Porsche. There are about 30 different keys. My dealer writes the key number on the option sticker. Otherwise you have to get the car in. Or, I guess you can take your broken key in and see if the can match it and order you another. Or, borrow their key if they will let you and get standard bolts.

post-4-1154401863_thumb.jpg

No, I bought the car CPO... The key was already in the flat kit. I had already taken the other rear tire off of the car though, so I'll just take the other lock lug with me to the dealer. That should work..

Unbelievably, my local dealership had a trade in that had two lug keys. It just happened to be the right one!

Anyone have a good outlet to buy new lugs? I was told that they changed the design, and I need to replace all of them, not just the locking ones. (They want $6 each for the lugs at the dealer!!!!)

Thanks

Brant

I had to buy one of those suckers too, cost $29!

The parts guy had to carry the whole case of 30 sockets to my car to try them all out.

I was scrutinizing it all over trying to determine and justify the price.

I finally tried to convince myself that it was probably made of very strong material

and wouldn't strip or break easily, considering the little small notches that actually hold/grip the lock bolt.

So now this is a rude awakening! They break easily!?

And the one I bought took 1-1/2 weeks to come in on order! :rolleyes:

Edited by CosmosC4S

• 9 months later...

I wanted to remove my rims to I could sand the brake discs since I believe the PO glazed them somehow and on the first wheel bolt, SNAP!!! :cursing: :censored: the key broke in two places (where the teeth grab the bolt). The local stealer doesn't have them in inventory.

The mechanic came by with the case mentioned above and the one that worked on mine had 007 stamped on the side of the "socket". Since he has 4 spare wheel bolts (non security) and I don't park in places where my rims would be at risk of being stolen, I am just going to put regular bolts in. We had to use a small pipe to remove locking bolts in the front! :cursing:

Edited by GOB