Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Insane sub install?

Right, I've been wanting to install a Bose rear deck into my 97 boxster for a while now, because all I have are dash speakers. BUT, I can't do that without having an OEM porsche amp or modfying the wiring from an aftermarket amp to plug into the 6 pin plug of the Bose rear deck. If I opt for an OEM amp, I can't plug an aftermarket head unit (which I definitely want to do) into the amp without modifying the wiring from the unit to the amp. Following so far? :)

So, I've had a crazy idea.

Screw all the Nokia/Haes/Bose amps and subs, use my own Sony head unit... Plug it into a standard Sony amp, and plug that into a standard Sony sub. This will be no larger than 10", something like this for example, and build a custom enclosure to go between the seats. And by custom enclosure I mean pull back the carpet, cut a hole behind and then cut the same hole in the carpet.

Now, I'm sure that I've missed something here, as THE ENGINE is generally in that direction. So the depth of this sub is 8.5", meaning I will need about 9" of clearance. Do I have enough 'free space' to drill a 10" hole in the middle of my car and put a thumping sub there?

Any help and guidance would be greatly appreciated. :D

Right, I've been wanting to install a Bose rear deck into my 97 boxster for a while now, because all I have are dash speakers. BUT, I can't do that without having an OEM porsche amp or modfying the wiring from an aftermarket amp to plug into the 6 pin plug of the Bose rear deck. If I opt for an OEM amp, I can't plug an aftermarket head unit (which I definitely want to do) into the amp without modifying the wiring from the unit to the amp. Following so far? :)

Screw all the Nokia/Haes/Bose amps and subs, use my own Sony head unit... Plug it into a standard Sony amp, and plug that into a standard Sony sub. This will be no larger than 10", something like this for example, and build a custom enclosure to go between the seats. And by custom enclosure I mean pull back the carpet, cut a hole behind and then cut the same hole in the carpet.

Now, I'm sure that I've missed something here, as THE ENGINE is generally in that direction. So the depth of this sub is 8.5", meaning I will need about 9" of clearance. Do I have enough 'free space' to drill a 10" hole in the middle of my car and put a thumping sub there?

I'd go with a different sub, possibly this one

I'd go with a different sub, possibly this one

Iyse, I think telly808 is right on the money here (getting a sub with minimal installation depth), but I would add a few points:

1. If at all possible, DO NOT CUT THE CAR. The subsequent reduction in resale value is large and immediate. Take a hard look at spending some extra effort fabricating an enclosure instead that will be removeable. I know others have done this in a Boxster before. Since it is not roomy back there, you will need a shallow subwoofer and a very custom box. I suggest going here for some examples of a similar problem (different car) solved with a custom enclosure.

2. I have not tried the Pioneer unit, but I am using an Audiobahn 12" (see this eBay ad) woofer in my 996 (yes, I fiberglassed it myself) that is very shallow also, and it has the advantage of power handling, lower F3, and MUCH greater excursion. I believe there is a 10" version also, which will better fit the 986 size envelope.

3. In addition to maintaining better resale value in your car, there is one other reason to fabricate an enclosure, and that is that you can take advantage of the better and more predictable characteristics of a sealed box.

Just my $0.02. Hope this helps.

The bit that you want to cut, is not a structural part of the car, as it is an access panel to the front of the engine. If you cut it, just buy a new one when it comes to selling the car. It does, however, act as a firewall, so if you want to do things properly, box your sub in with metal, rather than MDF or other wood.

As well as the Pioneer and Audiobahn equipment mentioned, Infinity do some shallow depth subs too. Its all a question of taste though! :) Best of luck.

Ahhh but I will end up cutting the carpet also, which I suppose can always be sewn back together. However, surely the sub would get ridiculosly hot being so close to the engine, regardless of the enclosure?

The bit that you want to cut, is not a structural part of the car, as it is an access panel to the front of the engine. If you cut it, just buy a new one when it comes to selling the car. It does, however, act as a firewall, so if you want to do things properly, box your sub in with metal, rather than MDF or other wood.

As well as the Pioneer and Audiobahn equipment mentioned, Infinity do some shallow depth subs too. Its all a question of taste though! :) Best of luck.

below is an email from when I was talking to those gusy a few months ago.

honestly, there are only two options for the box that makes it since it can only 6.5" subs, the jl 6w0, or hte elemental design eu700, i strongly recommend the eu700, cheaper and a lot more output than the JL.

a box painted silver with two eu700s would be around 1000 plus shipping

a box thats rough sanded with two eu700 so you can give it to a local body shop and finish sanding and painting is around 700

Bing