Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Doing the calipers, a couple of questions...

OK, so about 2 weeks ago, I sprayed my calipers red... But they turned out not to be glossy and the decals didn't stick to them properly, so now I have calipers I am unhappy with. My plan (after I get my car back from the garage) is to redo the calipers, but this time, choose the right paint giving a glossy finish and to paint them by taking the caliper off so I know in the back of my head the whole caliper is red.

So:

1) What red glossy caliper paint should I use? (I'm in the UK and I'd prefer a spray paint as opposed to a brush on one)

2) When taking off the calipers, as long as I don't interfere with the pistons, do I need a brake bleeding kit or anything? Or will taking them off and then putting them back on again not affect the brake fluid levels?

3) If I do decide to take the whole caliper off, how do I disconnect the brake line and what should I expect/be prepared for when I do disconnect it?

4) When removing the rear caliper, do I need to have the handbrake disengaged, or does this not matter? If I do need to disengage it, will regular chocks on each side of each front wheel stop the car from rolling as I raise the car from the rear?

Thanks. :)

1. Not sure, but something to withstand a high temperature.

2. If you don't break the hydraulic connection, you won't need to bleed. If you do, you will...

3. With a brake line spanner, turning the normal anticlockwise. Expect fluid seepage from line and caliper, air and dirt ingress so prepare for all.

4. No, the handbrake acts on a drum brake integral to the rear disc hub.

3. With a brake line spanner, turning the normal anticlockwise. Expect fluid seepage from line and caliper, air and dirt ingress so prepare for all.

Could you go through a little more on this, as I think it would be best to remove the whole caliper considering I'm gonna have to sand the original paint job OFF and then repaint it by hand (just bought some paint off Ebay). What will I need to do after I replace the caliper? Add more brake fluid to the resevoir etc?

In the UK your probably best using this spray paint

http://www.frost.co.uk/item_Detail.asp?productID=8205

A good supplier with next day delivery

I personally would suggest unbolting the calipers and the bolt that holds the brake line in place and merely moving the caliper away to one side, rather than dissconnecting it.

Alternatively you can quite easily mask up the areas you dont want painted or simply remove the pads and disc rather than muck around with your fluids. I've recently renewed the discs and pads on my 2000 'S' and it was one of the easiest cars I've ever worked on for brakes.

I can thoroughly recommend this paint, as being a spray it gives a perfectly smooth factory finish. But obviously try it on test area first to ensure its the finish you want.

hope that helps

Perry

Edited by perry190