Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

iPod install on CDR-220 without CD Changer

I have read every post that I can find, but have not seen a definitive answer about whether the Becker ipod interface (that replaces CD audio in with AUX in of ipod) can be used without the CD changer installed and working. I have done the install, but I can only use the ipod if there is one disk in the changer and the changer is powered on. Has anyone actually gotten it to work without the CD changer? If so, how?

YES it can be done. Via the "AUX" rather than "CDC", ie. having the CD Changer disconnected.

(let me try to find the instructions for you)

But now, how do you want your system to work? I assumed that you actually HAVE a CDC too... I have another car that I need to do this for too, CDR-220 w/ CDC.... I am thinking about splitting the CDC audio into the CDR-220, and use a button to switch between the CDC and ipod.

EDIT:

In short, if you already have the AUX kit and had installed it, all you need is to disconnect the CDC, and enable the AUX:

"program the 220 to run in Aux mode when it doesn't detect the Changer. Turn the radio on, hold down the TP button until Becker 1 is displayed. Turn tuning knob until AUX OFF is displayed. Then arrow down and change it to AUX ON. Turn the radio off."

Here are the detailed instructions:

http://home.earthlink.net/~mosierjr/PicsPage14.htm

http://home.comcast.net/~kilsen/boxster_ipod.htm

Enjoy!

Edited by jicko

Vert interesting. So what are the options to disconnect the CD Changer power (I am happy just having ipod alone)? I assume that I can either disconnect something on the back of the radio unit for disconnect a cable at the changer??? Thanks much.

YES it can be done. Via the "AUX" rather than "CDC", ie. having the CD Changer disconnected.

(let me try to find the instructions for you)

But now, how do you want your system to work? I assumed that you actually HAVE a CDC too... I have another car that I need to do this for too, CDR-220 w/ CDC.... I am thinking about splitting the CDC audio into the CDR-220, and use a button to switch between the CDC and ipod.

EDIT:

In short, if you already have the AUX kit and had installed it, all you need is to disconnect the CDC, and enable the AUX:

"program the 220 to run in Aux mode when it doesn't detect the Changer. Turn the radio on, hold down the TP button until Becker 1 is displayed. Turn tuning knob until AUX OFF is displayed. Then arrow down and change it to AUX ON. Turn the radio off."

Here are the detailed instructions:

http://home.earthlink.net/~mosierjr/PicsPage14.htm

http://home.comcast.net/~kilsen/boxster_ipod.htm

Enjoy!

Vert interesting. So what are the options to disconnect the CD Changer power (I am happy just having ipod alone)? I assume that I can either disconnect something on the back of the radio unit for disconnect a cable at the changer??? Thanks much.

So, have you got the Becker AUX IN kit yet? If so, just disconnect your CDC (the cable at the back is good enough), and hook up your AUX IN kit, and enable the AUX IN from the head unit according to the instructions of my last post.

The more extensive mod that will allow you to use both the CDC and the AUX is that to DIY a splitter that hook both CDC and AUX audio to the head unit, and use a switch open/close the power to the CDC. So, if you do not supply power to the CDC and turn on your headunit, the headunit will get NO RESPONSE from the CDC, therefore, think that there is no CDC, and you can select "AUX" for your IPOD. And if you do supply power to the CDC and turn on your headunit, the headunit will get a RESPONSE from the CDC, then it will just play from the CDC. The cleaner solution is actually use an IC to switch the audio between the CDC/IPOD so that don't over-drive each other (this is the solution that I'll be implementing for the car that I will be working on soon).