Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Top Down Over The Shoulder Rattle

If you are getting an over the shoulder rattle, which becomes worse when the top is down, lubricate the door latch mechanisms.

The sure sign for this problem is that the rattle gets worse when you put the top down, and the side window not being at the top position makes it even more pronounced.

This rattle is very misleading in that one could swear that it is coming from inside the door.

To fix it, do the following:

1) Using a clean rag, clean up the door latch mechanism the best you can.

2) Using a Q-tip, lightly apply Lithium based white grease all over the latch mechanism.

3) Drive and enjoy!

I have a feeling that the above steps will have to be repeated every now and then. So, applying too much grease will make the following clean up step messier.

Regards

Edited by seventythree

• 8 months later...

You, my friend, were right on!

I just did this to my 2000 cab and it fixed the noise I have had since I bought the car 2 months ago.

Thank you for taking the time to post on this problem.

I had no idea what was causing the rattle.

It must have taken you awhile to figure that one out.

• 4 weeks later...

I believe im getting both the door rattle and a highly annoying squeek behind me which sounds like rubber squeeking

Im about to go through and spray some silicone lube to see if i can nail it, has anyone else pin pointed the squeek in the roof?

As for the door, its like a ticking noise when you hit bumps on the road, less noticable than the roof though.

I believe im getting both the door rattle and a highly annoying squeek behind me which sounds like rubber squeeking

Im about to go through and spray some silicone lube to see if i can nail it, has anyone else pin pointed the squeek in the roof?

As for the door, its like a ticking noise when you hit bumps on the road, less noticable than the roof though.

I just fixed this problem last week, had been bugging me for a year+.

1998 78k, daily driver.

I had an annoying rattle (only present running over bumps at a certain speed) over my left shoulder coming from the general door latch area, and for me, it was the same disregarding top up or down & window up or down, thus somewhat eliminating both top and window mechanisms as a culprit.

After googling and finding a couple old posts on PCA (with suggestions but no results), indeed, it was the door latch area, but not the door latch itself.

The chrome U post that's attached to the body and that the door latch mechanism latches onto, was very slightly worn out where the latch catches into it.

I removed it by the 2 #40 torq screws, reversed it (flipped it around) and tightened it back up again.

Rattle gone!!!!

The U post screws into a moveable female insert (inside body), so if the rattle is not 100% gone, it can be loosened and re-tightened/re-positioned in a slightly different position (**** German engineers are so anally thorough, it's amazing). So if it still rattles a bit, more adjustment is possible.

This adjustment, instead of or in addition to the grease, may be the solution to that annoying noise.

For google or forum searches: DOOR RATTLE DRIVER DOOR RATTLE DRIVER SIDE RATTLE.

Edited by Charlestonboxster