Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Valentine1 V1 Remote Display Mirror

I've probably spent more time on this than even the cruise/OBC hack but, finally, it is done! The process involved a lot of experimentation, patience and trying over and over again but I've finally got it to a stage I'm thrilled with. The pictures don't really do it justice, makbe I'll be able to take better pictures in the daylight. Still, I'm not planning on going through all the steps but I do have some extra mirrors so I may end up making a few more, maybe. But, for now, here it is, 100% home made V1 mirror:

V1a.jpg

There is a mute button on the back (the white knob):

v1b.jpg

And the V1 itself is now mounted in front of the wind deflector on an acrylic bracket:

v1c.jpg

Now I just need to get the wire tucked in and it's all set!

Chris.

• Moderators

A BMW named Jim Powell has been doing this for many years.

http://www.apexcone.com/JimPowellHomepage/.../RadarLove.html

I contacted him about 5 years ago to see if he could do a Boxster mirror, because of it's funny shape. He had done Porsche mirrors before but could not remember if he had done a Boxster. He wanted me to send in my mirror and the charge to put in the remote was $150 or $250, I don't remember. He also supplied the remote for the price. I did not follow up because I did not have a V1, just the local guys.

Then about 2 years ago I started seeing Porsche V1 mirrors sold by a local company for some crazy price. Contacted the company and they were made by Jim, so he would no longer do a mirror for a private customer.

There is another company that does the same thing with the V1 remote in the mirror. They are done a little bit differently from what I remember. A local 996 coupe owner named Doug has had them both. The problem he said is that you cannot see the display when it is bright outside. So I figured it was not much use to me because my top is always down and I do not drive much at night.

post-4-1157577945_thumb.jpg

post-4-1157578052.jpg

I had seen the others, notably the BMW ones which was what started me off down this track, as you said it seemed Porsche ones were hard to find or very expensive ($900). I also wanted to have the text on the mirror to make it complete, idelly I'd like to have the lights behind a thin reflective layer but I don't think they are bright enough to show through.

I was out yesterday on a bright day and i could read it fine, it wasn't super-bright but certainly clear enough to read. I'll probably make a couple more over the next fwe weeks and give them a whirl on ebay, it's much easier to let the market determine a price rather than try to come up with one. I'll also hopefully be experimenting with an auto dimming mirror soon.

Chris.

The V1 mirror remote looks pretty good. I have my V1 mounted on the windshield, next to the mirror with the cord run through the molding - out of sight. I don't like that the unit reduces my vision - only a little, but enough to be a pain at times.

I like the idea of moving the main unit to the rear/center as you have, but don't like the remote placement options. I bought a remote with my unit. I'd like to know what you did to put it in the mirror. Would you care to share? :clapping:

The V1 mirror remote looks pretty good. I have my V1 mounted on the windshield, next to the mirror with the cord run through the molding - out of sight. I don't like that the unit reduces my vision - only a little, but enough to be a pain at times.

I like the idea of moving the main unit to the rear/center as you have, but don't like the remote placement options. I bought a remote with my unit. I'd like to know what you did to put it in the mirror. Would you care to share? :clapping:

That's where I had mine too, if you position it just right it can still "see" backwards and it is all but hidden from your line of sight, my concern though was about it being visible and someone trying to steal it, hence why I wanted it between the seats.

The mirror process is quite involved and I'm not really ready to divulge all of the steps yet, I should be making a few more soon though and they'll be cheaper than the alternatives.

For mounting the remote display I had mine by my knee under the dash, you can see it down through the wheel but the mute switch is harder to reach.

Chris.