Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Best performance modifications for a carrera Or a wish list

Hello all, :help:

I own a stock 6 Speed 2000 996 Carrera Coupe with a GT3 Complete aero package and would like to know the best mods with the best noticeable performance difference.

Most bang for the buck!!!

Any suggestion will be gladly appreciated

I’m looking for A wish list of mods

Thank you in advance for your time and attention

Let me be the first to offer this option, the best way to make your car go fast is to learn how to drive it that way. De's and instruction are invaluable in learing this. In my opinion this is money extremely well spent. Untill you can drive the car faster than it can currently go, additional mods are just a hobby and really you won't see much benifit from them.

That being said, the least expensive way to improve performance is in weight reduction. The lighter you can make the car the more responsive it becomes. In some cases it can make a dramatic difference. Examples, lighter and relocated battery, lighter wheels, loose the spare, etc. Use your imagination, LBS = HP.

Best of luck and enjoy.

Edited by RayGT3

So out of all these members no one in this forum has a wish list of after market parts they want for there 996

OK, if you insist.

LWFW

lighter, louder exhaust

upgrade to two piece floating rotors and race pads

Lighter wheels

sticky tires

Race cats

Change diff to 1:4.00

loose some of the suspension rubber

stiffer motor mounts

Alcantara steering wheel

Roll bar

5/6 pt Harness

CF front hood

loose back seat

Adjustable Shock upgrade

sway bar heim jt. drop links

and last but not least, a passenger air sick bag for the glove box.

But seriously, I could think of many other options but once I start thinking that way. I get too tempted to make more changes of my own. So I'll let others have a shot at additional money you can spend. I'm guessing but this list would come to somewhere around 20K.

best noticeable performance difference

Impossible to say without knowing how you use your car. You could add the blower if dusting turbos at stoplights is your thing. I drove my car totally stock for a year and started taking it to the track. I added an extra set of wheels and sticky tires and noticed a huge difference in the handling. But the track tires are awful on the street - noisy, bad in the rain, etc. 2 years later I upgraded the suspension to Pss9s. Noticed a huge difference with a more aggressive alignment and more damping. The car looks better lowered - since your have aerokit already, lowering could add to the looks. But the car handles differently ie: tramlines. You may not like this. I'm with the others who suggested attending track events and spend the money on improving your skills. Then you'll be more qualified to understand how mods would help/change your experience.