Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

more ignition switch discussion...

I was not getting any of the intermittant electrical issues associated with a no start of the ignition. When the wife got stranded last week we replaced it anyways due to the common failure trend.

It worked after the replacment but I've noticed now that the solution was really moving the steering wheel left/right if the key wouldn't turn. I've also noticed that the ignition is getting more stillf but again turning the wheel left or right prior or during the key turn solves the issue.

Is this common to the many Porsches?

or

Does it sound like the "tumbler" assembly is failing?

The steering wheel on our 986 really doesn't "lock" like most cars I'm used to. You don't feel that click after shutting off when the wheel is turned to lock it.

Comments please!

that happens to me too. you just need to move the steering wheel a little. i think that's common among all boxsters, and not due to a failing tumbler.

Great! I hope more chime into to tell the same story and put my concern to rest. As I said you really don't feel a "lock" in the wheel at all.

The wife called me again from lunch to say she couldn't get it to turn (the key) but a good crank on the wheel (which she was afraid to do with my OK) allowed her to turn the tumbler.