Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Satellite Radio for my '03

I am looking to install satellite radio in my car, I have read several posts but none indicate where to mount the satellite antenna (maybe I missed it). Where is the most common location?

I am looking for the simplest install because I want to keep the original radio and don't want to take too many things apart.

If anybody has already done this any input will be extremely helpful. And lastly, XM or Sirius?

Thanks.

I am looking to install satellite radio in my car, I have read several posts but none indicate where to mount the satellite antenna (maybe I missed it). Where is the most common location?

I am looking for the simplest install because I want to keep the original radio and don't want to take too many things apart.

If anybody has already done this any input will be extremely helpful. And lastly, XM or Sirius?

Thanks.

I installed a XM Radio because the signal is better, The antenna was placed inside the car near the back window, the conection thru the Porsche radio is done thru the signal imput of the FM, the quality is not great but acceptable while keeping the factory radio.

Tool Pants, so by the antenna being underneath all that plastic, there is no interference or loss of signal strength?

I am trying to picture where Cesarfl has it mounted, he said near the back window, doesn't it interfere with the top when it is lowered and raised?

Thanks for the help

... so by the antenna being underneath all that plastic, there is no interference or loss of signal strength?

I had mine (Sirius) in the front by the cabin filter like in the picture. Reception is adequate but not great compared to the same radio in another car. I put mine on the clam shell panel and ran the wire:

on the bottom of the clamshell to the side,

down the clamshell arm,

under the rear padding by the drain holes and

down the door threshold and up to the receiver.

The reception is MUCH better.

Peter986, I am assuming that you are using the built-in FM modulator in the sat. radio, how is the sound quality coming out of the Porsche radio?

Actually, I am not using FM; I am using a direct connection to my Blaupunkt head unit. On another car, I tried the FM modulator. The sound quality was not as good as the direct connect and the FM reception was not too consistent, either. If you can, go with the direct connect.