Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Intermediate Shaft Prob

Last week my car (99 Cab) started making an audible noise at startup idle. The noise is intermittent and cannot be heard while driving. I was concerned and took it to an independent who thought it was the clutch but he wasn't sure. This a.m. I took the car to the dealer for some reassurance and he called this afternoon with the devasting news that he thinks it is internal - the intermediate shaft going bad - and the engine is a total loss. The dealer wants $11,000 to replace the engine.

Is this a common issue? Has anyone been able to get Porsche to cover it out of warranty period, if it is a known problem? Should I have another dealer inspect the car? Are the new engines any better? Can a fairly adept mechanic replace the engine with one from a salvage yard?

Needless to say I'm a bit shocked and depressed. I've only had the car a year (only 48K on the car) and if I traded it in as is, I'd be underwater another $20,000 from what I bought the car for. Any knowledge or help may be needed.

Kevin

Last week my car (99 Cab) started making an audible noise at startup idle. The noise is intermittent and cannot be heard while driving. I was concerned and took it to an independent who thought it was the clutch but he wasn't sure. This a.m. I took the car to the dealer for some reassurance and he called this afternoon with the devasting news that he thinks it is internal - the intermediate shaft going bad - and the engine is a total loss. The dealer wants $11,000 to replace the engine.

Is this a common issue? Has anyone been able to get Porsche to cover it out of warranty period, if it is a known problem? Should I have another dealer inspect the car? Are the new engines any better? Can a fairly adept mechanic replace the engine with one from a salvage yard?

Needless to say I'm a bit shocked and depressed. I've only had the car a year (only 48K on the car) and if I traded it in as is, I'd be underwater another $20,000 from what I bought the car for. Any knowledge or help may be needed.

Kevin

This is terrible news! I would certainly get a qualified second opinion, then I'd try to approach Porsche headquarters because even out of warranty this should never happen at this mileage, but failing this I would try and find a less expensive fix like you yourself suggested...Good luck!

man, this is crazy!!!!!

start up noise -> $11K eng. replacement!!!!!!

please go see other dealer/indy, let us know the out come. i have a 01 996, and i have some start up noise too.

I asked the dealer how sure they were - Quote "Pretty dang sure" Outlook is bleak in that regards but I'll have somebody else look at it. Anybody know another so cal Porsche dealer?

are u a PCA member? please go to http://www.pca.org/regions/

find your local charter, those guys have a lot of leads.

can you please post a video/audio of your start-up noise? your car drive fine other wise, right? this is too crazy.

Cintinue driving it and don't worry. Since they say you need an engine replacement anyway at your expense, if it drives fine, why worry about it?

I know the world is full of stories like these, but do take it to an independent before you plop that kind of cash. So here is mine for this week.

I had a code, P0740, transmission, that I could not figure out. Took it to the dealer, who didn't know but emailed Porsche. The answer the next day is "new transmission, $7000" for Tiptronic. I could not believe it, as it shifted fine, never had a CEL.

Researched the code some more, and long story short purchased Pressure Regulator #4 (which could not be purchased alone according to the experts) and had it installed. Code gone, transmission is actually smoother and code gone. $205 for the part, $200 labor.

Moral of the story, do the research or get a second opinion, unbiased. Sometimes the dealers can follow Porsche guidance, which in your case may be new engine. But others may help diagnose it differently.

Izzy

Edited by izzyandsue

can you please post a video/audio of your start-up noise? your car drive fine other wise, right? this is too crazy.

Cintinue driving it and don't worry. Since they say you need an engine replacement anyway at your expense, if it drives fine, why worry about it?

It makes a noise that everybody asks, what is that? So I know it will eventually fail and leave me stranded on the side of the road in a puff of glorious smoke. So I don't think I really want to do that option but might have to. I checked my pockets this a.m. and still didn't have $11,000 laying around either.

It makes a noise that everybody asks, what is that? So I know it will eventually fail and leave me stranded on the side of the road in a puff of glorious smoke. So I don't think I really want to do that option but might have to. I checked my pockets this a.m. and still didn't have $11,000 laying around either.

By the way - PCNA said they wouldn't provide any assistance..... So I'm at a loss for now. I'll take it to a 3rd service place and see what they say.

By the way - PCNA said they wouldn't provide any assistance..... So I'm at a loss for now. I'll take it to a 3rd service place and see what they say.

This might sound too simple and even ridiculas, but it happened with a buddy's 997. Everytime he started the car, he got a god awful metal rattling noise from the back of it. Dealer could not determine what it was. He came by one night and I listened to it, over and over again until we found out what it was. The noise would only occur for a few seconds after each startup.

Problem: Bottom of the back license plate was vibrating against the car.

Edited by 1999Porsche911

This might sound too simple and even ridiculas, but it happened with a buddy's 997. Everytime he started the car, he got a god awful metal rattling noise from the back of it. Dealer could not determine what it was. He came by one night and I listened to it, over and over again until we found out what it was. The noise would only occur for a few seconds after each startup.

Problem: Bottom of the back license plate was vibrating against the car.

I would have realized if it was just a vibration...Anyways the saga continues.

Engine intermediate shaft let go today. The intermediate shaft failed about 1-2 weeks after the initial noise was heard. It actaully let go as the car was on the lift while a 3rd shop was inspecting the car. Scared the crap out the mechanics who scattered when it went BANG. Well I now have no choice but to find a new engine. If anybody has a good line a motor, let me know. I've located one with 8K mi. and the mechanic offered the motor and install for $7500 so that's been the least expensive thus far. Porsche wants about 12-13K for a reman and install. I've written PCNA to request assistance but I don't think I'll get any. Looks like I may have a low mileage 996 for sale soon. Very disappointed in Porsche. I was talking to another friend of mine who had a '99 996 and his motor failed at 16,000 miles.

In my point of view it is unacceptable for Porsche to make such a low quality engine. I don't think I have any legal recourse since it was out of warranty by years. Hope you all have better luck.

sorry to hear your story.

regarding your options:

$7500 give you any warranty? at least one month/1000 miles. wish u had taking some videos so we could have first hand exp. with this

failure.

In the last month or two there have been two or three 996 engines with low miles on ebay, both 5.4 and 3.6, they wnet for $2,000-$4,000. No warranty but alot less than the numbers you are talking about.