Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Transmission Ground Strap

It’s been suggested to check the transmission ground strap for a problem with my car cranking when hot. The problem started after I got my car back from the body shop for repairs from being read ended (while standing still) on the interstate and it may not have been correctly reinstalled resulting in the starter not getting enough current.

Where is the ground strap for the transmission and is this a DIY to check or change?

Thanks,

Lee

• Admin

There is no DIY for this. It is not to common but occasionally a tech will forget to hookup or tighten the ground strap after removing the transmission for an RMS or IMS There is a strap that connects the transmission to the chassis (on the underside of the car). Simply find that strap and check that both ends of the connection are attached and have good clean contact.

:oops: I didn't give my car information. I have a 1999 996 C2 coupe with 6 speed manual tramsmission.

Lee

Loren,

I’ve took off the under body panels and searched for a ground strap. I’ve been looking for a braided medal strap that I assume should be bolted to the transmission housing on one end and to the chassis on the other. I can’t find anything that looks even close.

Any idea where it should connected to the transmission… the front, back, top, bottom left or right.

Thanks,

Hi,

There should be no ground strap from the transmission

to the body. I look at some 997 details and there is a strap

from the starter to the body. The strap starts at a bolt that is

very close to the flywheel and runs to the body.

I would find the starter and see if there is a gound

strap installed.

There are plenty of transmission hangers that should ground the transmission

Paul