Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

DIY Sport Mufflers?

Am I correct in assuming that the picture on the left is the type I mod while the picture on the right is the type II mod?

If your referring to FisterD's response. The left side is the MK2 and the right side MK1 type mod.

I don't follow the MKI, MKII designations...sorry or the confusion. I classify my muffler mods by "stages". The less aggressive, less loud being "I", and the louder , more aggressive being "II"

My Stage I (MkII) is the milder, less aggressive mod. Connecting the third unused port to the outlet.

My Stage II (MkI) is louder and more aggressive sounding. connecting the inlet directly to the outlet.

Hey fisterD. What mod did you do on your exhaust? Is it 3.4 or 3.6? Is it a significant difference. I remember seeing a reply on thread indicating the mod for "Stage I" MkII doesn't pose any signifcant difference on a 3.4. Anybody else who have a 3.4 exhaust that can comment on this. Please indicate if the mod is MK1 or MK2. All your inputs will be appreciated.

Am I correct in assuming that the picture on the left is the type I mod while the picture on the right is the type II mod?

If your referring to FisterD's response. The left side is the MK2 and the right side MK1 type mod.

I don't follow the MKI, MKII designations...sorry or the confusion. I classify my muffler mods by "stages". The less aggressive, less loud being "I", and the louder , more aggressive being "II"

My Stage I (MkII) is the milder, less aggressive mod. Connecting the third unused port to the outlet.

My Stage II (MkI) is louder and more aggressive sounding. connecting the inlet directly to the outlet.

Hey fisterD. What mod did you do on your exhaust? Is it 3.4 or 3.6? Is it a significant difference. I remember seeing a reply on thread indicating the mod for "Stage I" MkII doesn't pose any signifcant difference on a 3.4. Anybody else who have a 3.4 exhaust that can comment on this. Please indicate if the mod is MK1 or MK2. All your inputs will be appreciated.

Stage I (mkII) only works on 3.6 mufflers.

Stage II (mkI) works on both 3.4 and 3.6 mufflers

I have a 993 and run Fister Stage IIs on it......and it sounds wicked!

I have done many 996 Stage II mods to 3.4 mufflers with great results. I use a larger diameter pipe than most.

Stage I (mkII) only works on 3.6 mufflers.

Stage II (mkI) works on both 3.4 and 3.6 mufflers

I have a 993 and run Fister Stage IIs on it......and it sounds wicked!

I have done many 996 Stage II mods to 3.4 mufflers with great results. I use a larger diameter pipe than most.

FisterD,

Is it loud on your 996? Even on low RPM? Does it sound like a muffler bypass or not as loud? Thank you!

It is not as loud as a muffler bypass. It is only a partial bypass. A lot of the exhaust still passes through the muffler. Just a portion goes through the bypass. It is louder than stock at idle, but not annoyingly loud at all. When you are heavy on the gas, backpressure in the muffler forces more through the bypass, and it sounds great!

It is not as loud as a muffler bypass. It is only a partial bypass. A lot of the exhaust still passes through the muffler. Just a portion goes through the bypass. It is louder than stock at idle, but not annoyingly loud at all. When you are heavy on the gas, backpressure in the muffler forces more through the bypass, and it sounds great!

What is diameter of the pipe you used? Do you have pix? Do you hear any popping sound when you release the gas from high revs? Thank you.

Has anyone experienced any loss of torque and/or power due to this? I am considering this only as an inexpensive "sound" mod rather than a gain in power. I am concerned however, at the thought of messing around with the physics of the exhaust on this auto.

Knowledgable replies appreciated.

Has anyone experienced any loss of torque and/or power due to this? I am considering this only as an inexpensive "sound" mod rather than a gain in power. I am concerned however, at the thought of messing around with the physics of the exhaust on this auto.

Knowledgable replies appreciated.

There is not near enough loss of backpressure when modifying these mufflers to cause a loss of torque.

The mod being discussed is to improve exhaust note only... and it does sound good.

I'm not an exhaust designer by profession... but I do play one on TV. And I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night. :)

Edited by MarkD

I got my modified mufflers from Oettle on Ebay for my '99 3.4 Tip. They use a 1 inch pipe I think. Best £350 I've spent. Sounds exactly like the original PSE. Not excessively loud below 2500rpm but gosh does it sing after. With the money saved, got new twin pipe tips for my car so now it sounds and looks good!

Edited by minny