Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Looking for a UK Turbo

I am starting to look for a 996 Turbo to replace my C2 Cab. I would welcome advice from current owners and any hints or tips.

I really would like a Tiptronic as I have really liked the one I have now - but open to thoughts.

I am in the UK and I have a budget of up to £50k for the right car.

Any views?

• 1 month later...
I am starting to look for a 996 Turbo to replace my C2 Cab. I would welcome advice from current owners and any hints or tips.

I really would like a Tiptronic as I have really liked the one I have now - but open to thoughts.

I am in the UK and I have a budget of up to £50k for the right car.

Any views?

I upgraded from a '01 C2 Cab Tiptronic to a black 996TT Tiptronic last month, the difference is unbelievable. I can't recommend it enough. Much more power, get up and go from any speed. It turns more precisely and has less body roll. The car also seems to sit a fair bit lower, as when I wash it I can reach almost all the way across the roof, which wasn't possible with the cab.

I would liken the performance gradient as changing from a 2.5 Boxster to a 996. When I went to test drive mine, I didn't want to give it back afterwards and had the thing in my garage within 2 days.

On the track the Turbo has a lot more poise and really is much quicker, although I went through a set of tyres and pads in a day.

In general driving I find mine can unexpectedly jerk away from standstill and occasionally at about 50% throttle the turbos suddenly kick in and the car squirrels off down the road.

Its also very much easier to speed in the car, so set your speed warning chimes at 75mph. In Australia we have very low speed limits (8 lane highway in Sydney with a speed limit of 40mph) so I often find myself accidentally exceeding the limit by well over 50%.

I have yet to pay a service bill, but the dealers estimated that it wouldn't be a lot more than servicing a 996 C4.

I am looking at fitting GT2 exhausts and chip when I have completed some research on post-upgrade drivability.

Edited by SpawnyWhippet