Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

top to tight

Hello,

I have had a new GAHH top installed on a 1998 boxster, after the installation the top has 2 problems:

1) the side do not correctly go inside the B pillar as described in TSB 6128 9/97

2) the top is too tight.

Now that I found the TSB and got access to it I'll have the installer repair the point 1.

For point 2, the problem is that normally when the top is all the way up (top light turned off) to close the latch I just have to work the mechanism and it does so easily. Now the front part of the latch does not quite reach far enough in the windscreen hole to grab and so I have to pull on the front of the top to get it to latch. I asked the installer to loosen it but he tells me that the roof will probably loosen and that it is better to have it installed tight.

I don't want to have to apply force on the roof mechanism so I'll ask him to loosen it regardless of what he thinks (his credibility with me is quite low now that he messed up the installation of the roof and could not find the TSB while it took me a non expert about 1h to find the solution on this forum). On the other hand I want to be able to retighten it myself if necessary.

Can someone post pictures and explanation on how to adjust that part of the roof mechanism.

Thank you

Benoit Cerrina

PS:

if you leave in the Charlotte, NC area, I don't know who to recommend for upholstery work but I can tell you one shop to avoid.

I didnt know there were adjustment bolts to loosen the tops tight canvas fit. You are suppose to Steam the top so that it'l stretch during the installation, Makes it really hard if you dont... I know this first hand, I had to lay 2 old wooden head boards and a Iroc rim with tire on the roof to get the latch to grab on.

• 2 weeks later...