Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Anyone here whom attends track days and driver ed days have insurance to cover them while on the track or does your regular insurance coverage apply? Attended a recent SCDA event at Limerock Park, plenty of room for an accident there.

Call your agent to find out. Companies will be different. A big difference is between track day Drivers Education as opposed to joining an event and running with the time trial group or race practice group.

Your agent would know if you are covered.

I posted this in another Porsche forum and I hope that someone can help.

Has anyone actually signed up with Laurel DE Insurance? I'm going Thunderhill on Nov. 17 for a DE event but I'd like to get DE insurance if possible.

I contacted Laurel DE and received the the following:

"This Policy provides coverage only for PCA DE Events and Club DE Events that operate using the same format as PCA DE Events. This Policy DOES NOT COVER Test & Tune Days, Open Track Days or Racing of any kind. Covered days are per car per designated driver and in accordance with Schedule "A" of the Certificate (i.e. two (2) drivers sharing one (1) car on one (1) calendar day = two (2) insured days)."

I also found that Laurel DE based out of Canada.

Laurel DE Management

7570 Talbot Trail

Blenheim, Ontario

CANADA, N0P 1A0

The acutal insurance company is Pacific Insurance Corporation.

Here is what is at the back end of the policy info they sent me.

THE COVER THAT YOU ARE REQUESTING TO PURCHASE IS BEING ISSUED BY AN INSURANCE COMPANY THAT IS NOT LICENSED IN THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA OR CANADA. THIS COMPANY IS CALLED A “NON-ADMITTED” OR “SURPLUS LINES” INSURER.

THIS INSURANCE COMPANY IS NOT SUBJECT TO THE FINANCIAL SOLVENCY REGULATIONS AND ENFORCEMENTS WHICH APPLY TO STATE, U.S. OR CANADIAN LICENSED COMPANIES.

THIS INSURANCE COMPANY DOES NOT PARTICIPATE IN ANY OF THE INSURANCE GUARANTEE FUNDS CREATED BY STATE, U.S. AND CANADIAN LAW. THEREFORE, THESE FUNDS WILL NOT PAY YOUR CLAIM OR PROTECT YOUR ASSETS IF THE INSURANCE COMPANY BECOMES INSOLVENT AND IS UNABLE TO MAKE PAYMENTS AS PROMISED.

FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION YOU SHOULD CONTACT YOUR INSURANCE AGENT/BROKER, “SURPLUS LINE” BROKER, THE STATE DEPARTMENT OF INSURANCE OR PROVINCIAL INSURANCE COMMISSION.

David at Laurel DE said that there are a few options for coverage. They are as follows:

10 DE track days- about $1000

20 DE track days- about $1300 (I'll verify this)

30 DE track days- about $1500 (I'll verify this)

This is for $40K worth of coverage.

I heard that there are some issues with Luarel DE and I'd like to know what those issues are before sending them any money. Any help/input would be greatly appreciated.

Like Izzy said, contact your agent. Every company is different. I know that my company (USAA) did pay off on a DE accident, but they told me if I did it again (crash) they would cancel me. This was in 1996 so they may have changed their terms. A friend bought a car from me and then totalled it - State Farm was his carrier and they paid it. However a lot of companies are changing their policies to specifically exclude DE. Formerly they only excluded racing, now they often exclude any activity on a race track, even if it is not a competitive event.

Because these things vary between companies and even between states (because every state has different laws) you should not trust any answer you receive on a forum unless the person has the same insurance company and lives in the same state and is actually reading their policy declaration as they write the response. Call your insurance company.

Better yet, read your policy. ;)

Michael